Posted by Heather on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 9:03pm.
How do you convert a number to whatever base it indicates? For example: convert 252 base six to base five. I have tried posting for my teacher to help me, but he doesn't seem to get what I am asking. Can someone please explain the process and not just the answer? Thanks!!
- Math - MathMate, Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 10:44am
Most of the time, you would convert numbers from "foreign" bases to base 10, then convert to the target base by division.
From a number in base n, we recognize that each digit from the right represents n^x, where x is the position from the right.
= 2*6² + 5*6¹ + 2*6^0
= 72 + 30 + 2
To convert 10210 to base 5, we divide by 5 successively and collect the remainders as digits from the right.
So 10210 = 4045
- Math - Heather, Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 3:09pm
Thanks. How did it change from 104 base 10 to 102?
- Math - DENISE, Monday, May 9, 2011 at 11:39pm
102ten to base 5 is not 404five it is 402five
102/5=20 r 2
20/5=4 r 0
4/5 =0 r 4
so that gives you 402five
Answer this Question
- Math - Convert the base-ten number to a number in the indicated base. 12 to base...
- math - Convert the base-ten number to a numeral in the indicated base. 329 to ...
- Math - Convert 35 to a base number. Use this base five number & count in base ...
- Math - Convert the base-ten number to a numeral in the indicated base. 503 to ...
- math - What would be the right way to convert base 16 to base 10, such as for ...
- Math - Can someone help me understand how to convert numbers to base numbers. ...
- 8th grade - What would be the right way to convert base 16 to base 10, such as ...
- math - Convert the base-ten number to a numeral in the indicated base. 40 to ...
- Math - Convert the base-ten number to a numeral in the indicated base. 15 to ...
- Math Base - Convert the number to the indicated base. 53six to base three