Posted by Roger on Monday, June 28, 2010 at 9:38pm.
I need some help again with these.I have to correct faulty parallelism in the following sentences. I think I have corrected a couple but some I need help on.
1. Activities on Wednesday afternoons include fishing trips, dance lessons, and computers.
2. Arriving at Lake Powell in a thunderstorm, the campers found it safer to remain in their cars than to set up their tents.
3. The streets were not only too steep but also too narrow for anything other than pedestrian traffic.
4. More digital artists in the show are from the South Shore than the North Shore.
5. To load her toolbox, Anika the Clown gathered hats of different sizes, put in two tubes of face paint, arranged a bundle of extra-long straws, added a bag of colored balloons, and included a battery-powered hair dryer.
- English - Writeacher, Monday, June 28, 2010 at 9:46pm
#1 - "fishing trips, dance lessons, and computers" -- The first two in this series are things people can take (take trips, take lessons...). How can you fix the 3rd element so it fits the same pattern?
#4 - What word needs to be inserted before "North Shore" in order for this to be parallel with "South Shore"?
#5 - The verbs gathered, put, arranged, and added are all "active" actions but included is more of a passive. How can you make the last element of the series fit with the others? What verb can you use?
I don't see any problems with #2 and #3.
- English - Roger, Monday, June 28, 2010 at 10:14pm
#1 Computer lessons?
#4 from the North Shore?
- English - Writeacher, Monday, June 28, 2010 at 11:40pm
I agree with your corrections for 1 and 4.
I see no difference in the last one. Try this:
5. To load her toolbox, Anika the Clown gathered hats of different sizes, put in two tubes of face paint, arranged a bundle of extra-long straws, added a bag of colored balloons, and packed a battery-powered hair dryer.
- English - Roger, Tuesday, June 29, 2010 at 9:50pm
Awesome thank you
Answer this Question
- English 101 - A question of faulty parallelism 1)) Activities on Wednesday ...
- English - This is my essay topic: If I could delay going to college for one year...
- English - Hi! Need some advice.Next week I need to teach a class. My task is to ...
- writing - My teacher will ask us every day how we're doing. We have to say a ...
- English - help needed - Posted by annie on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 4:29pm...
- English 101 - My question is to correct the faulty parallelism.How can we do ...
- English - Hello everyone! I study English and my task is to find 3 activities( ...
- socials - ms. sue i actual still need help on first question because i read ...
- A.P English - We're supposed to point out some parallelism in the book "Beloved...
- Economics - How could some these up a couple of lines: these are legal issues of...