Posted by Luke on Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 7:36pm.
Hey i need some assistance with translating this sentence thanks.
Urbs Troja dicitur decem annos a Graecis oppugnata esse.
Intermediate Latin - Writeacher, Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 8:01pm
I'll put the words in the order that will make sense in English:
Urbs = subject
Troja = appositive to Urbs
dicitur = main verb; passive 3rd singular
esse = infinitive
oppugnata = present perfect participle agreeing with Urbs
decem annos = adverbial phrase telling how long
a Graecis = prepositional phrase telling by whom
Now -- you add the words' meanings in that order and let me see what you come up with.
Repost when ready.
intermediate latin - Luke, Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 8:11pm
thanks let me see...
The city, Troy, having been attacked by the Greeks is being led for ten years.
intermediate latin - Writeacher, Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 8:18pm
dicitur = (it) is said -- this is the 3rd, singular, present passive of the word dico
esse = to be (or with this present perfect participle, to have been...)
The city, Troy, is said...
How will you finish it?
intermediate latin - Luke, Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 8:22pm
the city of troy is said to have been attached by the greeks for many years
Intermediate Latin - Writeacher, Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 8:28pm
attacked -- yes
The word oppugno... can also mean to assault or to storm. You choose the correct meaning. It's something that happened over a period of years. Did they attack every day?
For how many years???
intermediate latin - Luke, Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 8:28pm
oh sorry for ten years
the city of troy is said to have been attacked(or assaulted) by the greeks for ten years
thank you so much
intermediate latin - Writeacher, Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 8:29pm
You're very welcome!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- latin - urbs deleo non potuit. deleo has to be changed to the tense of the ...
- LATIN - Obey the divine law and tell us the truth now! I need help translating ...
- latin - When I am translating Latin sentances, where should I start. Should I ...
- latin - i need help translating this sentance to latin.. "six safe and favorable...
- Latin - Hey I need help finding the English meaning of each of these Latin words...
- latin - I am stuck on translating the below from Latin to Englis: Impluvium in ...
- Latin - Urgent Help - I need to translate this sentence into Latin There is ...
- latin - i desperately need some tips and techniques with memorizing/using ...
- Latin - Im confused about verbs in latin. Like for instance if the sentence was ...
- FRENCH... AGAIN - Hey guys, I'm just wondering, how do you say fun facts in ...