Posted by Sadie on Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 8:56pm.
Thinking about the uses of radioactive isotopes, which statement is true?
A. The iodine isotope, I-27, is used to diagnose thyroid disorders.
B. Radiation may be detected because it ionizes the atoms it affects.
C. It’s clearly understood that irradiating food kills bacteria and contaminates
D. Radioactive isotopes used in medical diagnoses have long lives and are quickly
absorbed by the body.
Regarding nuclear reactions that release a great deal of energy,
which statement is true?
A. In a fission chain reaction, a uranium nucleus struck by a
high-energy neutron emits two neutrons.
B. Nuclear fission releases more energy per unit mass than
does a fusion reaction.
C. Nuclear reactors produce dangerous levels of air pollution.
D. A fusion reaction proceeds through the joining of two
isotopes of hydrogen.
As to the binding energy of different atomic nuclei, it turns out that
A. excepting radioactive elements, the most stable elements have mass numbers
of 100 or higher.
B. as binding energies increase, the stability of nuclei decreases.
C. binding energies are strongest among the light elements with the exception
D. the most stable elements have mass numbers of around 56.
Which of the following is associated with β+ decay?
A. The parent and daughter nuclei still have the same n/p ratio.
B. The ratio of neutrons to protons is too low for stability.
C. Repulsion forces among large numbers of protons make the nucleus unstable.
D. The ratio of neutrons to protons is too high for stability.
(almost positive it is B)
All of the following statements are true except that
A. the amount of radioactive carbon in your body increases at the time of death.
B. radioactive carbon forms as atmospheric nitrogen is bombarded by high-energy
neutrons from outer space.
C. the amount of radioactive carbon in the air remains roughly constant over time.
D. radioactive carbon is absorbed by living things in the form of carbon dioxide.
As to naming organic compounds, which statement is false?
A. The name 2,3-dimethylpentane tell you there are two or three alkyl groups in
B. The first thing you do in naming an organic compound is count the number of carbon
atoms in a continuous chain.
C. Carbon groups that aren’t part of the main carbon chain are called side chains.
D. The name 2,3-dimethylpentane tells the location of methyl groups on the main
(I think A)
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 10:28pm
I answered the above question first and did all of them although I thought some were poor questions and several had poor choices for answers. This set of question is even worse and I will leave them, although the last one should be D and the one before that I agree is A. Also I agree that the most stable elements are about Z = 56.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math please help! - Nuclear medicine technologists use the Iodine isotope I-131...
- Chemistry - 2. The half-life of a radioactive element is important when ...
- math-natural log - Nuclear medicine technologists use the Iodine isotope I-131, ...
- science - Which statement best explains why dating geologic materials from the ...
- CALC -- integrals! - Iodine-131 is used to treat hypo-thyroidism since it is ...
- calculus -- PLEASE HELP! - Iodine-131 is used to treat hypo-thyroidism since it ...
- Chemistry - 1.)Two different Isotopes are found to have 2 different cpm with ...
- chemistry - Gallium is a metal with a wide variety of uses. Some of its ...
- chemistry - Iodine-131 is used to destroy thyroid tissue in the treatment of an ...
- Radiation therapy - In radiation therapy, a.isotopes are traced through a ...