Posted by sha on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 10:01pm.
a store sells cashews for $5.00 per pound and peanuts for $1.50 per pound. the manager decides to mix 30 pounds of peanuts with some cashews and sell the mixture for $3.00 per pound. how many pounds of cashews should be mixed with the peanuts so that the mixture will produce the same revenue as would selling the nuts separately?
finitemath - MathMate, Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 8:33am
Equate total selling price of mixture to total selling price of components. Solve for weight of cashews.
x=weight of cashews to be added
Total price of mixture
Total price of components
= 30*1.5 + 5x
Equate and solve for x:
3(30+x) = 30*1.5 + 5x
Isolate x and solv
5x-3x = 3(30)-30(1.5)
2x = 45
x = 22.5 lbs
finitemath - sha, Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 9:57am
thanks a million!
finitemath - Anonymous, Thursday, November 13, 2014 at 1:33pm
The grocery store sells kumquats for $3.75 a pound and Asian pears for $2.25 a pound. Write an equation in standard form for the weights of kumquats k and Asian pears p that a customer could buy with $14.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- college algebra - A store sells cashews for $5.00 per pound and peanuts for $1....
- math - A nut wholesalersells a mix of peanuts and cashews. He charges $2.80 per ...
- Math Word Problem - Cashews sell for $4.00 per pound and peanuts for $1.50 per ...
- algebra - A store sells mixtures of almonds and cashews for $6.50 per pound. ...
- Math - Peanuts sell for $3.00 per pound. Cashews sell for $6.00 per pound. How ...
- Math - A manager bought 12 pounds of peanuts for $30. He wants to mix $5 per ...
- algebra - a candy company has 130 pounds of cashews and 170 pounds of peanuts ...
- Algebra - Sarah mixes cashews that cost $9.00 per pound with 50 lb of peanuts ...
- Math - A grocery store wants to make a mixture of nuts consisting of cashews and...
- college algebra - a candy company has 130 pounds of cashews and 170 pounds of ...