Posted by Gibbons on Monday, June 21, 2010 at 8:17am.
A company is considering the purchase of a forest that is estimated to yield an annual return of $50,000 for 10 years, after which the forest will have no value. The company wants to earn 8% on its investment and set up a sinking fund to replace the purchase price. If the money is placed in the fund at the end of each year and earns 6% compounded annually, find the price the company should pay for the forest.
Math? Definitely not "college" - Writeacher, Monday, June 21, 2010 at 8:22am
Please type your subject in the School Subject box. Any other words, including obscure abbreviations, are likely to delay responses from a teacher who knows that subject well.
future values - MathMate, Monday, June 21, 2010 at 3:13pm
If I understand the investment instructions correctly, this is how it works:
The company would invest an amount P which should yield net 8% return each year for 10 years.
The revenue generated is constant each year at $50,000, and includes profit and capital repayment. The capital is repaid from a sinking fund that pays 6% p.a. and should generate the original capital at the end of 10 years. The annual payment into the sinking fund (out of the revenue) is $x.
x=annual investment into sinking fund
For the 8% profit over 10 years, we have
P*(0.08*10) = 50000*10 - 10x ...(1)
and that the amount x over 10 years at 6% p.a. should yield exactly P:
P = x*1.06^10/(1.06-1.0) ...(2)
Substituting (2) into (1)
x*1.06^10/(1.06-1.0)*(0.08*10) = 50000*10 - 10x
Solve for x to get $14758.85
and from (2)
P = $440514.32
Substitute the amounts into the scenarios and check.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Accounting - 1. A manager is considering the following investment: Initial ...
- Finance - As an investor, you are considering an investment in the bonds of the ...
- Accounting - Sierra Company is considering a long-term investment project called...
- engineering economics - A) A company has issued 10-year bonds, with a face value...
- fin534 - In order to expand its business, Auto Parts Distributing, Inc., is ...
- accounting - A new inventory management system for ABC Company could be ...
- managerial accounting - The building and equipment are estimated to cost $1,100,...
- Personal Finance Concept - Bernie and Pam Britten together earn $100,000 a year...
- linear programming - Globex Investment Capital Corporation owns six companies ...
- Finance - Your company sponsors a 401(k) plan into which you deposit 12 percent ...