I need help with these, I have to edit the following sentences to eliminate problems with subject-verb agreement.
1. Measles is a contagious childhood disease.
2. Adorning a shelf in the lab are a Vietnamese figurine, a set of Korean clay gods, and an American plastic village.
3. The presence of certain bacteria in our bodies is one of the factors that determines our overall health.
4. Sheila is the only one of the many applicants who has the ability to step into this job.
5. Neither the explorer nor his companions were ever seen again.
English - Ms. Sue, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 4:37pm
They are all correct! :-)
english - Roger, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 4:38pm
So #3 would be determines not determine?
english - Ms. Sue, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 4:39pm
Yes. The subject of "determines" is "one."
english - Roger, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 4:41pm
The reason I ask is because MS Word has determines underlined and the correction is determine.
english - Ms. Sue, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 4:52pm
I checked with another long-time English teacher and she agrees with me. # 3 should be "one . . . determines . . ."
Computer programs aren't always right. <g>
English correction - Ms. Sue, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 5:16pm
The subject of "determines" is "that," not "one." But Writeacher and I still believe that the correct verb is "determines."
english - Roger, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 6:03pm
ok thank you
english - Ms. Sue, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 6:16pm
english - Roger, Monday, June 28, 2010 at 6:51pm
My professor counted that one wrong, I tried to argue my case but with no luck. He stated that it is based on factors and not one.
english - tuba, Monday, August 24, 2015 at 11:13am