Posted by Roger on Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 4:33pm.
I need help with these, I have to edit the following sentences to eliminate problems with subject-verb agreement.
1. Measles is a contagious childhood disease.
2. Adorning a shelf in the lab are a Vietnamese figurine, a set of Korean clay gods, and an American plastic village.
3. The presence of certain bacteria in our bodies is one of the factors that determines our overall health.
4. Sheila is the only one of the many applicants who has the ability to step into this job.
5. Neither the explorer nor his companions were ever seen again.
- English - Ms. Sue, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 4:37pm
They are all correct! :-)
- english - Roger, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 4:38pm
So #3 would be determines not determine?
- english - Ms. Sue, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 4:39pm
Yes. The subject of "determines" is "one."
- english - Roger, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 4:41pm
The reason I ask is because MS Word has determines underlined and the correction is determine.
- english - Ms. Sue, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 4:52pm
I checked with another long-time English teacher and she agrees with me. # 3 should be "one . . . determines . . ."
Computer programs aren't always right. <g>
- English correction - Ms. Sue, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 5:16pm
The subject of "determines" is "that," not "one." But Writeacher and I still believe that the correct verb is "determines."
- english - Roger, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 6:03pm
ok thank you
- english - Ms. Sue, Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 6:16pm
- english - Roger, Monday, June 28, 2010 at 6:51pm
My professor counted that one wrong, I tried to argue my case but with no luck. He stated that it is based on factors and not one.
- english - tuba, Monday, August 24, 2015 at 11:13am
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Subject Verb agreement. - Which of the following sentences does illustrate ...
- english - I need to find the error in these sentences. 1. They is both happy. It...
- grammar - i really dont understand these sentences.... the instructions are to ...
- GRAMMAR - Good Morning- Each of the following sentences has an agreement error ...
- english - I need two sentences about the role of education in successful ...
- English - Grammatically, “agreement” can mean: A) subject/verb agreement B) ...
- english - I have to circle the simple subject,find the verb,decide if its right ...
- Please Please help! English - Which of the following sentences DOES NOT ...
- English ASAP Please - Which one of the following sentences demostates correct ...
- Grammar - The following senetences are inverted. Write C if the subject-verb ...