Posted by Meeha on Friday, June 18, 2010 at 2:27am.
I'm stuck on these history questions, and the textbook is not clear on the answer (I hate it when that happens!). I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me ASAP on this as I need to submit this tomorrow (especially Ms. Sue! Please help me out!)
Some anti-imperialists feared the existence of
a) foreign markets
b) different races in the United States
c) large standing armies
d) a new frontier
I'm stuck between B and C. I was pretty sure it was B at first, but then I read the text more closely and figured it most probably would be C as well. Here's what my book says:
For choice B:
"Although most southern democrats also opposed imperialism, they did so for different reasons. Many southern politicians feared the effects of having to absorb more people of different races into the United States...A number of anti-imperialists outside the South also opposed imperialist policies because of the fear that they would encourage people of different racial backgrounds to move to the United States."
For choice C:
"Finally, anti-imperialists noted that imperialism threatened the nation's democratic foundations. The large standing armies that were employed to bring other nations under American control could be used just as easily to crush dissent at home."
Which of the following contributed to the cattle ranching bust?
c)competition from Mexican ranchers
d) invention of barbed wire
Same issue. I'm stuck between choices A and D, and the text isn't clear.
For choice A:
"Cattlemen contributed to their own downfall by overstocking the market with cattle. They also allowed their herds to overgraze what remained of the range, seriously damaging the prairie grasses. In 1885 beef prices began to fall."
For choice D:
"The cattle boom ended in the mid-1880s as a result of several factors. One was Joseph Glidden's 1874 invention of barbed wire...Farmers on the Great Plains lacked a supply of trees or rocks with which to build fences. With the invention of barbed wire, farmers could fence their land and keep out grazing cattle that had caused much conflict between farmers and ranchers. Slowly the open range on which ranchers had freely grazed their huge herds, began to disappear."
And I'm stuck on this one. This question talks about the Progressive Movement of the late 1800s:
The progressive movement focused mainly on the problems of
I know its definitely not A. I guess I'm stuck between B, C, and D, though it's probably not likely to be B..I'm thinking it's along the lines of C or D, but I'm not sure.
Please help ASAP as I need to submit this by tomorrow. Thanks so much! <3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- AP World History - I really need some help with 2 questions. These questions are...
- history - I'm stuck between two answers on this question, and was wondering if ...
- history - My history Textbook did not clarify how the U.S decided to go to war ...
- World History - 1. As industry spread in the Second Industrial Revolution, the ...
- History please help - Could someone explain what does it mean to "stabilize ...
- history - i'm stuck on my history homeowork, can someone please help me with ...
- History/social studies - How would Lewis and Clark’s expedition changed U.S ...
- History - True or false history questions. im stuck on two questions? As ...
- History - can someone help me make a really short, brief history of Chad,Africa?
- math - Could someone help me solves these questions? And can you show me how you...