Posted by Jacqueline on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 8:15pm.
In the diagram below, the length of the legs AC and BC of right triangle ABC are 6cm and 8cm, respectively.Altitude CD is drawm to the hypotenuse of triangle ABC.
what is the lenght of AD to the nearest tenth of a centimeter?
geometry - Damon, Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 9:02pm
3,4,5 right trisangle so
hypotenuse = 10
Draw it and note similar triangles ABC, CBD, ACD
call AD = x
then BD = 10-x
the altitude CD = sqrt (36-x^2)
the altitude CD = sqrt (64 -(10-x)^2)
36-x^2 = 64 - (10-x)^2
36 - x^2 = 64 - ( 100 -20 x + x^2)
36 - x^2 = -36 + 20 x - x^2
72 = 20 x
x = 72/20 = 3.6
geometry - bob, Monday, May 26, 2014 at 3:44pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Geometry - In the diagram below, the length of the legs AC and BC of right ...
- Math(Geometry) - In the diagram below(no diagram but details will be provided), ...
- Geometry - In right triangle ABC, the median to the hypotenuse has length 15 ...
- math - In isosceles right triangle ABC, point D is on hypotenuse BC such that AD...
- Geometry - The altitude to the hypotenuse of a right triangle ABC divides the ...
- Math - the right triangle ABC, the altitude from vertex C divides the hypotenuse...
- geometry - right triangle ABC with right angle C, AC=22 and BC=6, altitude CD ...
- geometry - Jim has put a fence along the side AC of the triangular patch of land...
- geometry - triangle ABC is an isosceles right triangle. The endpoints of the ...
- college geometry - Given: right triangle ABC with right angle at C, AC=22 and BC...