Posted by Punkin on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 at 11:28pm.
how long will it take a bus travelling at 60 miles per hour to overtake a car travelling at 40 mph if the car had a 1.5 hour head start
math - PsyDAG, Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 1:58am
Let x = the time to overtake
60x = 1.5 + 40x
Solve for x.
math - Reiny, Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 8:48am
Let the time taken by the bus for the trip be t hours
Let the time taken by the car for the trip be t+1.5
distance covered by bus = 60t
distance covered by car = 40(t+1.5)
60t = 40(t+1.5)
60t = 40t + 60
20t = 60
t = 3
bus goes for 3 hours and the car for 4.5 hours
3x60 = 180
4.5x40 = 180
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - How long will it take a bus traveling at 60 miles per hour to overtake a ...
- math - distance = rate x time or d = r*t car traveling 40 mi/hr goes 40 mi/hr x ...
- algebra - How long will it take a car traveling at 60 mph to overtake a bus ...
- Algebra - How long will it take for a car that is traveling at 60 mph to ...
- grade 7 math - Uniform Motion Related Problem A car travelling at 60 kph left ...
- Physics - If a car travelling 48km per hour and is 10 metres behind a car ...
- physics - Car A is travelling at 22.0 m/s and car B at 29.0 m/s. Car A is 300 m ...
- Algebra - Two cars are traveling at 40 and 50 miles per hour, respectively. If ...
- math - a car traveling 64 miles per hour passes a bus traveling 53 mph in the ...
- Math - A car travelling at 23 miles per hour accelerates to 46 miles per hour in...