Posted by Jill on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 at 3:08pm.
The present value of an annuity due of $400 payable semi-annually is $5600. Interest is computed at 6% compounded semi-annually. what are the number of payments? What formula should I use for this? Thanks!
Math - Reiny, Tuesday, June 15, 2010 at 5:36pm
sub into your Present Value formula
PV = paym( 1 - (1+i)^-n)/i
5600 = 400 (1 - 1.03^-n)/.03
.42 = 1 - 1.03^-n
1.03^-n = .58
take log of both sides
log(1.03^-n) = log .58
-n(log 1.03) = log .58
-n = log .58/log 1.03
you do the button-pushing, I got 18.4 payments
There will be 18 full payments of $400 plus a partial payment
Math - Jill, Tuesday, June 15, 2010 at 6:59pm
Thanks so much. That was my answer but that formula in my book was for ordinary annuities and I wasn't sure if it applied to annuities DUE also.
correction - maths - Reiny, Tuesday, June 15, 2010 at 7:41pm
I did not catch the "due" part
so I would change it to
5600 = 400 + 400 (1 - 1.03^-n)/.03 , one 400 plus n payments
5200 = 400 (1 - 1.03^-n)/.03
.39 = 1 - 1.03^-n
1.03^-n = .61
-n = log .61/log 1.03
-n = -16.722
n = 16.7
So in addition to the first 400 payment we need 16 more full payments, plus a partial payment
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Please Help - Find the present value of an ordinary annuity of $1,400 payments ...
- math - A company wants to accumulate tsh 100000 to purchase replacement ...
- Business Mathematics - Jungle Jim owes three debts: $500 due in one year plus ...
- college maths - A property worth $15,000.00 is purchased for 10% down and semi-...
- Math: Compounded Interest - A principal of $200 is invested at 5% interest rate ...
- math - find the present value of ordinary annuity payments of 890 each year for ...
- Mathematics - In the problems 1 to 3, find the present value of the given (...
- math - Jungle Jim owes three debts: $500 due in one year plus interest at 6% ...
- Math - Jungle Jim owes three debts: $500 due in one year plus interest at 6% ...
- Math - Meg's pension plan is an annuity with a guaranteed return of 9% interest ...