Posted by Brittany on Monday, June 14, 2010 at 3:53pm.
Case Study: Gayle and Patrick
Read the following case study about Gayle and Patrick. You may also click on the Audio: Thinking It Over if you prefer to listen to the case study. After reviewing the case study, answer the questions on below.
Gayle and Patrick have been in a monogamous marriage for seven years. During a medical checkup, Gayle finds that she is HIV positive. Because she has not been sexually active outside her marriage and has never injected drugs, received a blood transfusion, or been hospitalized, she is quite certain that Patrick must have infected her. When she calls the local health clinic to discover if Patrick has been tested for HIV, they tell her that this information is confidential. She does not want to confront Patrick for fear that he may not be infected and she will have to explain her own infection.
Audio: Thinking It Over
This is a difficult situation for Gayle to find herself in. She has to deal with two very large issues — she's infected with a life-threatening virus and she's living with doubt and fear about her partner. Since she's quite certain he transmitted the virus to her, he most likely is infected. How did he become infected? In what behavior did he participate that put him at risk, and eventually put her at risk as well? Why didn't he tell her about it? Why didn't he have himself tested to make sure he was HIV-free? Most people in such cases would be angry with their partners. But Gayle is holding out that there's a possibility that Patrick isn't infected. Now she has to deal with the issue of disclosing this news to Patrick and confronting him with the questions. This is not something she needs to be dealing with right now. What could Patrick and Gayle have done to ensure each other's safety? What would have been the responsible thing to do?
1.What do you think Gayle should do?
2.What might you do in a similar situation?
3.What laws does your state have regarding partner notification for HIV, AIDS, and other sexually transmitted infections?
- SCI 162 - Ms. Sue, Monday, June 14, 2010 at 3:55pm
How would you like us to help you with this assignment?
- SCI 162 - annoymous, Tuesday, July 13, 2010 at 5:14pm
in a essay form
- SCI 162 - Doretha, Friday, July 16, 2010 at 6:31pm
I Don't require any help,I visit my doctor on a regular basic. I'm tested for this so I can be safe and my partners can be safe. I keep myself up to date on information. These are serious diseases we need to stay alert to signs and be informed. I talk to my children and my nieces and nephews I want us all to be healthy and remember to talk to others.
- SCI 162 - Doretha, Wednesday, July 21, 2010 at 8:06pm
<p>Gayle is afraid of what Patrick might say or think. He might want to place blame on her to keep from accepting responsibility. Even though Gayle has not been with other partners she can't understand how she could have gotten HIV unless Patrick has it also. I think that Gayle shouldtalk to Patrick, let him know that she has HIV, ask him if he has been tested. Find out if he has been with other people other than her so he can get help also.If I were in this situation in this situation I would inform my partner and let him know to talk to anyone that he had been with also. Let them know there is helpat the health department and there regular physician.
- SCI 162 - sara, Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 7:34pm
i dont know the answer to number three nor do i know how to find it
- SCI 162 - Anonymous, Saturday, September 4, 2010 at 2:19am
what do you think gayle should do
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Sci 162 - I would like to know what Gayle should do about telling Patrick that ...
- Science, Technology and Culture - I have to create a case study on The Impact ...
- Psychology - You have decided to use the case study method to investigate a ...
- Fondations of business - Read the two case studies on pages 233-236 of the text...
- Business - In one of my assignments I'm suppose to explain the types of input ...
- Finance Management - CASE STUDY 1 please read the continuing case at the end of ...
- Statistics - A group of doctors is trying to see if a vaccine causes a certain ...
- Stadistics - Select the most appropriate study design for each of the following ...
- statistics - Select the most appropriate study design for each of the following ...
- business - i have a case study in decision making the book name is making hard ...