Posted by David on Monday, June 14, 2010 at 2:44pm.
I need help with these problems for a test.
1. Find the inverse of the one-to-one function.
2. The height of the water, H, in feet, at a boat dock t hours after 7 am is given by E=7+4.4cos pi/35 t, where t is time measured in seconds. Find the period.
3. Solve the equation on the interval [0, 2pi).
a) sin^2x - cos^2x = 0
4. Factor completely, or state that the polynomial is prime.
- Math - Reiny, Monday, June 14, 2010 at 5:14pm
1. Here is a neat way to find the inverse of a linear function.
perform the inverse of the operations in reverse order
original: we multiply by 5 then add 1/4
inverse: we subtract 1/4, then divide by 5
f^-1(x) = (x - 1/4)/5
check: pick any value of x, e.g. x = 8
f(8) = 40+1/4 = 161/4
f^-1(161/4) = (4(161/4) - 1))/20
= 160/20 = 8
- Math - Reiny, Monday, June 14, 2010 at 5:17pm
2. The period of E = 7+4.4cos(π/35)t
- Math - Reiny, Monday, June 14, 2010 at 5:27pm
3. sin^2x - cos^2x = 0
sin^2x - (1 - sin^2x) = 0
2sin^2x = 1
sin^2x = 1/2
sin x = ± 1/√2
x = 45°, 135°, 225° or 315°
x = π/4, 3π/4, 5π/4 or 7π/4
4. sin 4x = √3/2
4x = 60° or 4x = 120°
4x = π/3 or 4x = 2π/3
so x = π/12 or x = 2π/12 = π/6
but the period of sin4x is 90° or π/2
so by adding π/2 to each of the above answers we can get more answers until we go past 2π
π/12 + π/2 = 7π/12
7π/12 + π/2 = 13π/12
13π/12 + π/2 = 19π/12 adding one more π/2 would be beyond 2π
now do the same with π/6 to get 3 more answers from that branch
altogether there will be 8 different solutions.
- Math - Reiny, Monday, June 14, 2010 at 5:28pm
= 3y^2(9y^2 - 49)
- Math - David, Monday, June 14, 2010 at 7:48pm
Answer this Question
- Math - I need help with these problems for a test. 1. Find the inverse of the ...
- Geometry - boat dock is 9 ft above water level if a 41 ft rope is attached to ...
- math - A man pulls a rope over a simple pulley attached to the bow of a rowboat...
- Math - A boat must be moored 25 feet away from a dock. The boat will be 10 feet ...
- Calculus Practice Problems - A boat is pulled into a dock by a rope attached to...
- Math - Find inverse of f if f(x)= x^2-4x+3, (for x is smaller than and equal to ...
- Math Grade 12 - The paddle wheel of a boat measures 16 feet in diameter and is ...
- Algebra-One to one function - Could you please check my answers and help me with...
- calculus - a man on a dock is pulling in a boat by means of a rope attached to ...
- Calculus - a) A boat is pulled into a dock by a rope attached to the bow ("front...