Posted by brandon on Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 9:49pm.
Superguy is flying at treetop level near Paris when he sees the Eiffel Tower elevator start to fall (the cable snapped). His x-ray vision tells him Lois LaTour is inside. If Superguy is 1.00 km away from the tower, and the elevator falls from a height of 122.5 m, how long does Superguy have to save Lois, and what must be his average speed?
A) 3.00 s, 333 m/s
B) 5.00 s, 200 m/s
C) 7.00 s, 143 m/s
D) 9.00 s, 111 m/s
E) 10.0 s, 96.0 m/s
- physics - drwls, Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 10:05pm
Have you calculated how long it takes the elevator to free fall 122.5 m? That would be a good way to start.
Once you have calculated that time T, the speed required is easy: 1000m/T
One of the choices fits perfectly
- physics - brandon, Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 10:50pm
I am really not good at physics. How would I go about finding how long it takes the elevator to fall?
Is it going to have something to do with 9.8m/s?
- physics - drwls, Friday, June 11, 2010 at 12:06am
H = (1/2)g T^2, so
T = sqrt(2H/g) is the time to fall
yes, it has something to do with g.
People aren't "good at physics" until they try solving the problems.
- physics - A, Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 8:27am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - An elevator manufacturing company is stress-testing a new elevator in ...
- AP Physics - The Eiffel Tower is 300 m tall. When you are standing at a certain ...
- Math - to measure the height of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, a person stands away ...
- PHYSICS - A 70 KG man is standing on a scale inside an elevator. Calculate the ...
- About Paris - How are Vancouver and Paris different from one another? Ive got to...
- MATH - The Eiffel Tower has a surface area of approximately 76,000 square ...
- Physics - A cable lifts a 1370 kg elevator at a constant velocity for a distance...
- physics - An elevator is being lifted up an elevator shaft at a constant speed ...
- Physics - A mineshaft has an elevator hung from a single steel-wire cable of ...
- Math - Mike and Lani stand 21.2 meters apart. From Mike’s position, the angle of...