Posted by brandon on Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 9:49pm.
Superguy is flying at treetop level near Paris when he sees the Eiffel Tower elevator start to fall (the cable snapped). His x-ray vision tells him Lois LaTour is inside. If Superguy is 1.00 km away from the tower, and the elevator falls from a height of 122.5 m, how long does Superguy have to save Lois, and what must be his average speed?
A) 3.00 s, 333 m/s
B) 5.00 s, 200 m/s
C) 7.00 s, 143 m/s
D) 9.00 s, 111 m/s
E) 10.0 s, 96.0 m/s
- physics - drwls, Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 10:05pm
Have you calculated how long it takes the elevator to free fall 122.5 m? That would be a good way to start.
Once you have calculated that time T, the speed required is easy: 1000m/T
One of the choices fits perfectly
- physics - brandon, Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 10:50pm
I am really not good at physics. How would I go about finding how long it takes the elevator to fall?
Is it going to have something to do with 9.8m/s?
- physics - drwls, Friday, June 11, 2010 at 12:06am
H = (1/2)g T^2, so
T = sqrt(2H/g) is the time to fall
yes, it has something to do with g.
People aren't "good at physics" until they try solving the problems.
- physics - A, Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 8:27am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - to measure the height of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, a person stands away ...
- AP Physics - The Eiffel Tower is 300 m tall. When you are standing at a certain ...
- Physics - An elevator manufacturing company is stress-testing a new elevator in ...
- MATH - The Eiffel Tower has a surface area of approximately 76,000 square ...
- Math please help!! - An engineer sees that the angle of elevation to a vertical ...
- math - An engineer sees that the angle of elevation to a vertical tower is 45 ...
- Math - an electrician needs to run a cable from the top of a 48-foot tower to a ...
- algebra - An electrician needs to run a cable from the top of a 40-foot tower to...
- math - Two fire towers, A and B, are 20.3 km apart. From tower A, the compass ...
- Math - Mike and Lani stand 21.2 meters apart. From Mike’s position, the angle of...