Posted by Mari on Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 9:19am.
1. An object 5 millimeters high is located 15 millimeters in front of a plane mirror. How far from the mirror is the image located?
A. 5.0 millimeters
B. 7.5 millimeters
C. 15 millimeters ***
D. 30 millimeters
2. Which of the following values represents an index of refraction of an actual material?
B. 1 / 4
C. 1 / 2
D. 5 / 4 ***
3. Which one of the following types of electromagnetic radiation causes certain substances to fluoresce?
A. Ultraviolet rays ***
B. Infrared waves
C. X rays
D. Cosmic rays
4. If a 72-candela light source is located at a distance of 3 meters from a surface, the illuminance on the surface is
A. 8 lux. ***
B. 24 lux.
C. 216 lux.
D. 648 lux.
5. If you're driving towards the sun late in the afternoon, you can reduce the glare from the road by wearing sunglasses that permit only the passage of light that's
A. polarized in a vertical plane. ***
B. polarized in a horizontal plane.
C. dispersed in a vertical plane.
D. dispersed in a spherical plane.
6. The term angle of deviation is used in reference to
A. a polarizer.
B. a prism. ***
C. a lens.
D. an analyzer.
7. According to the information in your study unit, which of the following locations requires the highest illuminance?
A. A residential stairway
B. A school locker room
C. A bank lobby
D. A study area ***
8. The unit for measuring the rate at which light energy is radiated from a source is the
C. lumen. ***
9. Compared to yellow light, orange light has
A. the same frequency.
B. a faster wave velocity.
C. a longer wavelength. ***
D. a different polarization.
10. The image formed by a convex spherical mirror will always be
A. inverted and smaller than the object.
B. upright and smaller than the object. ***
C. inverted and larger than the object.
D. upright and larger than the object.
11. When an object is placed 8 millimeters from a concave spherical mirror, a clear image can be projected on a screen 16 millimeters in front of the mirror. If the object has a height of 4 millimeters, the height of the image is
A. 2 millimeters.
B. 4 millimeters.
C. 8 millimeters. ***
D. 12 millimeters.
12. Which of the following lenses is a converging lens?
A. Double-convex lens ***
B. Spherical-convex lens
C. Plano-concave lens
D. Convexo-concave lens
13. A virtual image produced by a lens is always
A. larger than the object.
B. smaller than the object. (?)
C. located in front of the lens.
D. located in the back of the lens.
14. In which of the following materials is the velocity of light greatest?
C. Crown glass
D. Fused quartz (?)
15. If the distance from a converging lens to the object is less than the focal length of the lens, the image will be
A. real, inverted, and larger than the object.
B. real, inverted, and smaller than the object. (?)
C. virtual, upright, and larger than the object.
D. virtual, upright, and smaller than the object.
16. When a simple magnifying glass is used properly, the image will be formed
A. just inside the focal length of the lens.
B. about 250 millimeters in front of the lens. ***
C. at the focal point of the lens.
D. about 500 millimeters behind the lens.
17. When the image of a distant object is brought into focus in front of a person's retina, the defect is called
B. farsightedness. (?)
C. chromatic aberration.
D. spherical aberration.
18. Reflecting telescopes are popular because they're
A. more powerful than a refracting telescope.
B. smaller than a refracting telescope.
C. easier to build than a refracting telescope. ***
D. more durable than a refracting telescope.
19. In any one material, all electromagnetic waves have the same
D. velocity. ***
20. Which of the following occurs when light is reflected from a rough or unpolished surface?
A. The original pattern of the light is distorted. ***
B. The original pattern of the light is preserved.
C. The angle of reflection is less than the angle of incidence.
D. The angle of reflection is greater than the angle of incidence.
21. An object is located 51 millimeters from a diverging lens. The object has a height of 13 millimeters and the image height is 3.5 millimeters. How far in front of the lens is the image located?
A. 1.12 millimeters
B. 13.7 millimeters
C. 51 millimeters (?)
D. 189 millimeters
22. A failure of the red-sensitive nerves in the eye to respond to light properly causes
C. chromatic aberration.
D. color blindness.***
23. When a beam of light passes at an oblique angle into a material of lower optical density, the angle of incidence is
A. less than the angle of reflection.(?)
B. less than the angle of refraction.
C. greater than the angle of reflection.
D. greater than the angle of refraction.
24. Rays of light incident on a lens and parallel to the principal axis of the lens converge
A. at the center of curvature of the lens.
B. at the focal point of the lens.***
C. in front of the lens.
D. in back of the lens.
25. If an object 18 millimeters high is placed 12 millimeters from a diverging lens and the image is formed 4 millimeters in front of the lens, what is the height of the image?
A. 6 millimeters
B. 8 millimeters
C. 14 millimeters (?)
D. 22 millimeters
- physical science (light) - drwls, Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 9:43am
Do the *** indicate your choices?
You are asking for us to do too much here. We don't do complete homework assignments or tests for students here.
Here are my comments on the *** choices.
1, 2, and 3 are correct
4 is correct if the source radiates equally in all directions
5, 6 and 7 are correct
8. is wrong. Think of the light emitted by a standard candle. That what the modern "candela" approximates
9, 10, 11 and 12 are correct
13 is wrong
14 ? is wrong. Fastest light velocity is the one with smallest refractive index. You should know what that is.
16, 18, 19, and 20 are correct
20, 22 and 24 are correct
On #25 and, compute the di/do magnification ratio.
Use the lens equation
1/do + 1/di = 1/f
Do some more work on the others if you need additional help.
- physical science (light) - Anonymous, Monday, June 14, 2010 at 4:21pm
If a 72 candela light source is located at a distance of 3 meters from a surface, the illuminance on the surface is How many lux???
- physical science (light) - kearra, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 9:07am
#23 is right
- physical science (light) - kearra, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 9:15am
#25 is 6 milimeters
- physical science (light) - kearra, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 9:22am
#21 is b
- physical science (light) - Anonymous, Sunday, December 26, 2010 at 12:09am
1. C Correct
2. D Correct
3. A Correct
4. B A PAGES 68,69
5. A Correct
6. B Correct
7. D Correct
8. B C PAGE 67
9. C Correct
10. B Correct
11. C Correct
12. A Correct
13. A C PAGES 33-36
14. B A PAGE 26
15. B C PAGE 35
16. B Correct
17. A Correct
18. C Correct
19. D Correct
20. A Correct
21. B Correct
22. D Correct
23. A B PAGES 23,24
24. B Correct
25. A Correct
- physical science (light) - Anonymous, Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 1:13pm
- physical science (light) - Rochel, Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 4:54pm
none of the physical science answers are correct
- physical science (light) - Dorothy, Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 3:47pm
C. virtual, upright, and larger than the object
- physical science (light) - mimi, Thursday, August 15, 2013 at 8:49pm
number 25 is 8
I just took the exam and im sure about it
Answer this Question
science- help needed. - each statement is false. rewrite each one as a true ...
physical science - a red light source and green light source shine on a white ...
Physics - light - 1. Blue light and yellow light combine to produce white light ...
physical science - What physical law states: When an object nears a massive ...
physical science - gimme a side of what physical science is. I know there's no ...
Physical Science - In which of these cases does a ripe banana apear black, red ...
Physical Science - A 15 Kg object that is free falling has a total mechanical ...
Physics - Recently there has been technological advances that allow for 3-D ...
Physical Science - Object A has a mass of 500g and a density of 5.0g/cm^3; ...
Physical science - (A) A red light source and a green light source shine on a ...