Posted by Amal on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at 4:08pm.
A man (we'll refer to him as man 1) starts from his home at 8 A.M. and drives a steady rate of 50 MPH. An hour later a second man ( man 2) starts to follow him. Draw a graph to represent these facts. From the graph find when man 2 overtakes man 1. Okay, I imagined at 9 A.M. man 1 has reached the 50 mile marker, and man two is "following" him. We don't know how far along he is or what time he departed. The distance he is behind him is X= x-50
and at 10 A.M. He will be 55+ x ahead. Please help me. My brain feels foggy.
- algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at 5:11pm
There is no unique solution to your problem.
Let the time spent driving by man1 be 1 hours
then the time for man2 when he overtook man1 is t-1 hours.
let the speed of man2 be x mph
distance driven by man1 = 50t miles
distance driven by man2 = x(t-1) miles
but at the overtake, the both went the same distance, so
x(t-1) = 50t
xt - x = 50t
xt-50t = x
t(x-50) = x
t = x/(x-5) , clearly x > 50
let x = 60, then
t = 60/10 = 6 hours
check: when t = 6 hours,
distance of man 1 = 300 miles
time for second man = 5 hours, speed of second man = 60 mph, distance = 300
try x=70 , so t = 3.5
distance of man1 = 3.5x50 = 175 miles
time for second man = 2.5, speed of second man = 70
distance of second man = 2.5x70 = 175
notice both combination of answers work, as will as many others as you want.
- algebra - Amal, Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at 5:49pm
We know man 1 drives 50 miles per hour
man 2 goes 55 mph
- algebra - Amal, Wednesday, June 9, 2010 at 11:32am
The answer differs from yours.
- algebra - Amal, Tuesday, June 15, 2010 at 6:08pm
Please help! I'm still waiting!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Intergated chemistry/physics - A 200 man is running 3 miles per hour and ...
- English-Ms. Sue - So for my second paragraph how would I start it off? -Describe...
- British literature - from the dramatic monologue the reader learns that the ...
- Math - A man starts walking north at 5 ft/s from a point P. Five minutes later a...
- calculus - A man starts walking north at 3ft/s from a point P. Five minutes ...
- physic - A man is running at speed c (much less than the speed of light) to ...
- MATH - A MAN GRASP A ROPE 6M ABOVE THE GROUND, FROM HIS HAND THE ROPE GOES ...
- two dimensional kinematics - A freight train is moving at a constant speed of Vt...
- Physics 11 - A man jumps from a great height and falls freely to the Earth. ...
- calculus - A man starts walking north at 4ft/s from a point P. Five minutes ...