Posted by bart on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at 12:10am.
Find the equation of a line that passes through the point (1,2)
and has a slope of 1/3. Show how you found the equation.
Would the equation be:
Do I need to finish this? I am not sure how.
- Algebra: please check - troy, Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at 12:49am
You set it up right. Don't forget your plugging in for x and y and you need to finish this.
So your equation would be
B would be your unknown y-intercept.
But this is not in slope-intercept form
So now you need to solve for b.
subtract 1/3 from both sides you get
your equation would then be
- Algebra: please check - Reiny, Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at 6:31am
There are several ways to write the equation of a straight line.
The way troy showed you is the y-intercept-slope form.
Your starting equation suggests that you have learned the point-slope form
y-2=1/3(x-1) by multiplying both sides by 3 to avoid fractions ...
3y - 6 = x-1
take everybody to the left side
-x + 3y - 5 = 0
usually we start with a positive x
x - 3y + 5 = 0
This is the general form of the equation of a straight line, and it contains no fractions.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - I would love for someone to check my work on the seven problems that ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Math - Find the equation of a line that passes through the point (1,2) and has a...
- algebra - Write the equation of the line that passes through point (5, 4) with a...
- algebra - Find the equation of a line that passes through the point (1,2)and has...
- Math - Find the equation of a line that passes through the point (1, 2) and has ...
- algebra review! - it says write the equation of the vertical line that passes ...
- math - I have a few question so I will number them off. Please answer them for ...
- intermediate algebra-check my answer - Find the equation of the line. find ...
- algebra - 1. write an equation of the line that passes through the point and has...