Posted by Sandy on Sunday, June 6, 2010 at 11:19pm.
solve for x if x is in radians.
cos2(x) + 4cos(x) = -3
- trig - Reiny, Sunday, June 6, 2010 at 11:24pm
cos^2 x + 4cosx = -3 ??
if so, then let cosx = y to get
y^2 + 4y + 3 = 0
(y+1)(y+3) = 0
y = -1 or y = -3
cosx = -1 ---> x = π
cosx = -3 , not possible
so x = π
- trig - Sandy, Sunday, June 6, 2010 at 11:27pm
no, its not squared. it is (cosx)(2)
- trig - Reiny, Sunday, June 6, 2010 at 11:42pm
(cosx)(2) wouldn't make much sense, then it would be
2cosx and the entire equation would be
6cosx = -3
cosx = -1/2
and x = 120░ or 240░
did you mean cos(2x) ?
then you can use the identity
cos(2x) = 2cos^2x - 1
cos((x) + 4cos(x) = -3
2cos^2x - 1 + 4cosx = -3
2cos^2x + 4cosx + 2 = 0
cos^2x + 2cosx + 1 = 0
(cosx + 1)^2 = 0
cosx + 1 = 0
cosx = -1
x = 180░ or x = π
(which by coincidence is the same answer to the other interpretation)
- trig - Sandy, Sunday, June 6, 2010 at 11:49pm
okay i think that is right. thank you
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Trig - Double Angles - Prove: cos4x = 8cos^4x - 8cos^2x + 1 My Attempt: ...
- Trig 3 - Why does 1 - COS2(Squared) _________________ COS2 = tan2
- trig - cos2(120degrees) help me solve this please
- trig - solve for exact value for x between 0 and 2 pie 3sin2(x)-cos2=2?
- Maths - if in a triangle ABC m angle A=π/2, then value of cos2 A + cos2 B...
- maths - If S=1/2^2cos1 + 1/cos1Ącos2+1/2^3 cos1 Ącos2Ącos2^2 + .......... upto ...
- trig - Write an equation for simple harmonic motion, given that the amplitude ...
- Math/Trig - Solve: 2 cos2 x - 3 cos x + 1 = 0 for 0 is less than or equal to x ...
- trig - Solve rounding to 2 decimal places. 9cosx + 4cos(2x) + 1 = 0 over 0░ ...
- advanced functions(trig) - solve for x, to the nearest degree, in the interval ...