Posted by yasmine on Friday, June 4, 2010 at 11:06pm.
can someone help me with the kinds of connotations present in this poem ?
Man has fenced the wilderness back in the hills;
Tamed in the town he walks on concrete blocks;
And in the park his heart with pleasure fills -
But not at Wordsworth’s school-book daffodils.
No, his delight is catching up with clocks
And turning knobs and pressing button A -
The train is due; there’s half a minute to go
But the lift’s gone down and the escalator’s slow -
Praise God for the Underground this lark-song day!
Breathing, yet dead, his life is caged with steel -
Wire, wheel, and cable - automatic aids
To living - he exists but cannot feel
The slow barbaric beauty that invades
A world at Spring. He moves in crowds and queues
And reads the Morning Star and the Evening News
But cannot read the sky though April beats
A golden fanfare down the dusty streets
And breathes a green breath through the petrol fumes.
Yet a third-floor room is powerless to deny
The feel of leaves, the pollen-smell behind
New flowered cretonnes where a rebel wind
Is strong and blue with ranging through the sky.
And though the files of his mind are entered up
Like office ledgers, unknowing he holds the cup
Brimmed with the light of moons beyond his reach.
The street is thronged with more than he can know -
The Invisibles who know him; without speech
They call him; without form they come and go
And catch him by the sleeve until the slow
Unwilling flesh is beckoned from its task.
Released, he finds the vital stream that spills
A primrose light on sullen window-sills.
English - SraJMcGin, Saturday, June 5, 2010 at 2:23am
Definition of "connotation" is:
The emotional implications and associations that a word may carry.
Denotation is when you mean what you say, ... Connotation is created when you mean something else, something that might be ...
"The name reservation has a negative connotation among Native Americans--an intern camp of sorts."
After you find them, someone will be glad to check your reasoning.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- english - Can anyone tell me the tone of this poem? THE INVADING SPRING - Phoebe...
- English - Can Someone comment on how well i did my my poem please. Drive No ...
- Math - The hiking club hiked to a park at 4mph. They got a ride back to town in ...
- Writing - Can Someone comment on how well i did my my poem please. Drive No ...
- language arts - What is a concrete poem? A. A poem that provides concrete images...
- Maths - Karen took 1hour 45mins to drive from Town A to Town B. She took another...
- math - Sam wants to make concrete blocks that are 24 inches by 24 inches by 4 ...
- math - If Sam wants to make concrete blocks that are 24 inches by 24 inches by 4...
- English - 2. In the last stanza of "Tableau", the boys a. angrily confront the ...
- percentage - Karen took 1h 45m to drive from town a to town b.she took another ...