Posted by lil on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 at 7:26pm.
the cost of three markers and two pencils is 1.80
the cost of four markers and six pencils is 2.90
what is the cost of each item?
- algebra - Jen, Wednesday, June 2, 2010 at 7:27pm
Do you know how to use elimination?
- algebra - lil, Wednesday, June 2, 2010 at 7:32pm
uhm no. explain the steps please?
- algebra - Jen, Wednesday, June 2, 2010 at 7:36pm
Ok, so if you make markers "x" and pencils "y", you get
Then you use elimination (by figuring out what to multiply one or both equations by to get rid of one of the variables, either x or y).
Multiplying the top equation by -4
and the bottom equation by 3 to eliminate the x's gives us
Add the equations together
Divide both sides by 2
Plug that back into any of your equations to solve for x.
Once you get your answers, feel free to post them if you want them checked.
- algebra - lil, Wednesday, June 2, 2010 at 7:42pm
thanks so much. do you have time for one more problem ?
- algebra - Jen, Wednesday, June 2, 2010 at 11:13pm
Sure, are you still on?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - How do you solve this question: The cost of 3 markers and 2 pencils is $1...
- algebra - the cost of 3 makers and 2 pencils is $1.80. The cost of 4 markers and...
- algebra - Rachael bought 12 pencils and 7 markers for $5.36, and later bought 8 ...
- math - a pencil, eraser and notebook together cost one dollar. a notebook costs ...
- math, help - how do i write the equations so i can solve it i will do the ...
- Math - You earned a $25 gift card by working in Apangea and have purchased four ...
- Math - Leo has 8 more markers than colored pencils. He has a total of 32 markers...
- Math - six pencils cost $1.32.At this rate,how much will 5 pencils cost?
- algebra - 3 pencils cost $.03 more than 2 pen,and 1 pen and 10 pencils together ...
- math - A pencil, eraser, and notebook cost $1 in total. A notebook costs more ...