Posted by Jake on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 at 5:59pm.
The Sarasota Police department collected data on the number of car accidents ( X ) that occur each day on a certain stretch of route 41. From this data, they derived the probability distribution shown in the table below.
What is the expected mean (average) number of accidents that occur each day
- STATISTICS - MathGuru, Friday, June 4, 2010 at 7:05pm
To find the mean:
SUM [x * P(x)]
Multiply each x by its respective probability P(x). Add together for a total. This will be your mean.
To find variance:
SUM [x^2 * P(x)] - mean^2
Square each x. Multiply each squared x by its respective probability P(x). Add together for a total. Square the mean. Subtract the squared mean from the total. This will be your variance.
To find standard deviation:
Take the square root of the variance.
Hopefully, this information will help you with problems of this type.
- STATISTICS - blueyeshadow, Monday, January 17, 2011 at 8:11pm
answer is 0.33
- STATISTICS - dennis, Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 2:42pm
1 to 6264. find the probability of selecting a number that is not divisible by 1000
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- statistics - A particular report included the following table classifying 711 ...
- math - 1.Thompson Security has been hired to determine the number of visitors at...
- probability - There is a .97 chance that no accident will occur during any ...
- statistics - Data were collected on 100 students regarding their class and ...
- Statistics - The probability distribution of the number of accidents in Grand ...
- statistics - Suppose that the number of accidents occurring in an industrial ...
- statistics - The number of accidents per week at a hazardous intersection ...
- Statistics - In a certain Math class, the probabilities have been empirically ...
- algebra 1 - The number of bagels sold daily for two bakeries is shown in the ...
- Stats - A particular report included the following table classifying 713 fatal ...