Posted by Lucinda on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 at 3:43am.
what is the pH of a 2.62x10^-1 M NaNO2 solution? NB the pKa for HCN=9.212
and also; what is the pH of a 2.62x10^-1 M HCN solution. NB the pKa forn HCN is 9.212.
- CHEMISTRY> HELP QUICK! pls - DrBob222, Tuesday, June 1, 2010 at 5:41pm
For #1, this is a hydrolysis question.
NO2^- + HOH ==> HNO2 + OH^-
Kb = (Kw/Ka) = (HNO2)(OH^-)/(NO2^-)
Make an ICE chart and substitute into the Kb equation. I'm unsure of why you included the pKa for HCN. The pKa you want is HNO2.
For #2, ionize HCN.
HCN ==> H^+ + CN^-
Ka = (H^+)(CN^-)/(HCN)
Set up an ICE chart, substitute into the Ka expression above and solve for H^+, then convert to pH.
Post your work if you get stuck.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- CHEMISTRY> HELP QUICK! pls - i have an exam friday and cant figure this ...
- Chemistry - What is the pH of a 2.62 x 10^-1 HCN solution? The pKa for HCN = 9....
- chemistry - What is the pH of a 2.62 x 10 -1 M HCN solution ? NB the pKa for ...
- College Chemistry II - What is the solubility of ZnCO3 at 25C in a buffer ...
- chemistry - What is the pH of a 1.24 mol/L solution of HCN(aq) if its Ka = 6.2 x...
- CHEMISTRY> HELP QUICK! pls - I GOT THIS WRONG IN AN ASSIGNMENT. I HAVE AN ...
- Chemistry - Estimate the equilibrium constant for the weak acid HCN, if a 4.68×...
- chem - Calculate [H3O] in the following solutions. 5.15x10-2M HCl and 7.62x10-2M...
- Chemistry - Indicate which of the following has the highest entropy at 298 K. 0....
- chemistry - Determine [Zn2 ], [CN–], and [HCN] in a saturated solution of Zn(CN)...