Posted by Please help on Monday, May 31, 2010 at 9:49pm.
Here is the problem:
A two-digit number is eight times the sum of its digits.When the number is added to the number obtained by reversing the digits,the sum is 99. Find the original number.
Please explain hot to solve it and it would help a lot to if you explain other algebra word problems like:
Distance rate and time problems,Mixture Problems,wind and water current problems,work problem,area problem,cost and value problems if you could explain or give a link to something helpful,
- Algebra - Damon, Monday, May 31, 2010 at 9:56pm
write two digit number nm as m + 10 n
m + 10n = 8 (n+m)
m + 10n + n + 10 m = 99
then solve the two equations
2 n = 7 m
11n+11m = 99 or n+m=9
n = (7/2)m
(7/2)m + m = 9
7 m + 2 m =18
9 m = 18
m = 2
n = 7
number = 72
- Algebra - MathMate, Monday, May 31, 2010 at 9:59pm
This is a question with two equations, x, y each representing one of the two digits.
the number is equal to 8 times the sum of its digits, therefore:
10x+y = 8(x+y), or
That leaves only one solution: x=7, y=2.
When the number is added to that with the digits reversed, it should add up to 99:
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 8th Grade Algebra - These are extra credit questions, and I just want to know ...
- Algebra - Here is the problem: A two-digit number is eight times the sum of its ...
- Maths - The digits of a three digit number are in AP&their sum is 15.The number ...
- Algebra math. - 1) the sum of the digits of a two digit number is 9. The value ...
- math ALGEBRA - When the digits of two-digits numbers are reversed, the new ...
- algebra - A number consists of two digits. The sum of twice the tens digit an 5 ...
- algebra - The value of a certain two-digit number is eight times he sum of its ...
- Algebra - The sum o the digits of a two-digit number is 6. The number with the ...
- Math - The sum of the digits of a two-digit number is 14. The number formed by ...
- algebra - A number consists of two digits. The sum of 3 times the units digit ...