Posted by rfvv on Friday, May 28, 2010 at 9:25pm.
1. My father reads the newspaper every day.
(What does it mean?
2. My father reads the same newspaper everyday.
3. My father reads a newspaper every day. Does #1 mean #2 or #3? Is 'the newspaper' the generic term? )
- English - Ms. Sue, Friday, May 28, 2010 at 9:30pm
"The newspaper" is a generic term. It assumes that it's the same newspaper -- i.e., the local city newspaper.
We don't usually use # 3.
- English - rfvv, Friday, May 28, 2010 at 9:32pm
Do you mean that he doesn't read only one (the same) newspaper again and again?
Do you mean that he reads everyday newspaper (different newspaper every day)?
- English - Ms. Sue, Friday, May 28, 2010 at 9:37pm
It's not the "same" newspaper over and over. He reads each day's edition of the local city newspaper.
- English - rfvv, Friday, May 28, 2010 at 9:51pm
OK. Thank you.
If the father reads the same newspaper again an again, what expressions do we have to use? If he has such a strange habit, what do we say?
- English - Ms. Sue, Friday, May 28, 2010 at 9:55pm
We might say that a person who reads the same newspaper again and again is demented or has Alzheimer's disease.
- English - MattsRiceBowl, Friday, May 28, 2010 at 10:55pm
You'd clarify it more. You would say something like:
My father reads the same newspaper every day. By that, I mean the EXACT same paper.
You would say that with a stronger emphasis on "exact."
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - e.g. My father reads the newspaper every day. (What is the meaning of ...
- English - 1. Is Kelly a male name or a female name? 2. What is the difference ...
- English - How ofen do you read the newspaper? I read it every day. (Does the ...
- Statistics - *Give all probabilities to two decimal places. Three daily ...
- math - only 40% of people between the ages of 18 and 24 read the newspaper. what...
- Math - Gerald reads 120 pages of a book in 4 days. If he always reads 6 more ...
- English - 1. I am like my father. 2. I look like my father. 3. I am similar to ...
- English (Urgent) - In John Cheever's story reunion, what do the restaurants ...
- English Grammar - Mother's Day is the second Sunday in May in America. Americans...
- MATH - During the 1st year at university, Erica¡¦s father had been ...