Posted by Sally on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 8:17pm.
A charge of 28.0 is placed in a uniform electric field that is directed vertically upward and that has a magnitude of 4.00×104 . What work is done by the electric force when the charge moves
physicsa 6a - drwls, Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 8:24pm
You need to provide units for the charge and the E-field. I assume they are Coulombs and Volts/meter, but unless you say what they are, you have not asked a proper physics question.
The work done on the charge will depend upon how far it moves.
physicsa 6a - Sally, Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 9:23pm
I am so sorry my computer didn't transfer it
.550m to the right
physics - drwls, Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 1:41am
The force on the particle is
E*q = 4*10^4 N/C * 28*10^-9 C.
Multiply that by 0.550 m for the work done, in Joules.
(Volts/meter and Newtons/Coulomb are equivalent units)
physicsa 6a - Sally, Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 2:07am
thnak you! Can you please help me with this one as well? Its the same problem:
2.40 at an angle of 45.0 downward from the horizontal?
physicsa 6a - Sally, Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 2:19am
sorry again my computer..2.4m
physicsa 6a - drwls, Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 6:23am
The work done will equal the force times the distance moved vertically (in the direction of the E field). You answer will contain a sin 45 = 0.707 factor.
The force will be up and you are moving the charge down, so potential energy will increase as work is done on the charge.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A charge of 28.0 nC is placed in a uniform electric field that is ...
- Physics - A uniform electric field exists everywhere in the x, y plane. This ...
- physics - A uniform electric field exists everywhere in the x, y plane. This ...
- physics - A charge of -4.50 10-6 C is placed at a point in space where the ...
- Physics electric force, please help! - A charge of +Q and a charge of +2Q are ...
- physics - Background pertinent to this problem is available in Interactive ...
- Physics - What must the charge (sign and magnitude) of a particle of mass 1.48g ...
- physics - A uniform electric field is directed upward and has a magnitude of 5 N...
- physics - At a certain distance from a point charge, the potential due to the ...
- PHYSICS - 1. Why is an electric field considered to be a vector quantity? 2. ...