Posted by Lyndsie on Monday, May 17, 2010 at 7:13pm.
An airplane leaves airport A and flies 200 km. At this time its bearing from Airport B, 250 km to the west, is 120 degrees. How far is the airplane from B?
Algebra II - Reiny, Monday, May 17, 2010 at 8:04pm
let the plane's position be P
so in triangle ABP, angle A = 30° ( a bearing of 120 = 90+30)
let's find angle P
sinP/250 = sin 30/200
angle P = 38.682
then angle A = 113.328°
BP/sin113.328 = 200/sin30
BP = 372.63 km
angle P = 141.318
then angle A = 8.682°
BP/sin8.682 = 200/sin30
BP = 60.38 km
both answers make sense, since the triangle results in the "ambiguous case"
Algebra II - Ashleyh, Monday, May 14, 2012 at 10:31am
1. A passenger in an airplane at an altitude of 10 km sees two towns to the east of the plane. The angle of depression to town A is 28o and the angle of depression to town B is 55o. How far apart are the two towns?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra II - An airplane leaves airport A and flies 200 km. At this time its ...
- Math C30 - An airplane is leaving the first airport (A) at a bearing of 70 ...
- Pre Cal - An airplane leaves an airport and flies due west 150 miles and then ...
- Math - An airplane leaves the airport and flies due west 170 miles and then 240 ...
- trig - an airplane leaves the airport and flies due west 150 miles and then 240 ...
- Math/Trig - An airplane leaves an airport and flies due west 150 miles and then ...
- math - An airport passes over an airport and continues flying on a heading of N ...
- Trigonometry - Round answer to two significant digits. An airplane flew 300 ...
- Trigonometry - An airplane flew 300 miles at a bearing of N65°E from airport A ...
- Trigonometry - An airplane is 48 miles due north of a town. An airport is 29 ...