Posted by Kaley on Monday, May 17, 2010 at 4:54pm.
A circle has a radius of 6 in. The inscribed equilateral triangle will have an area of: ?
Geometry - lily, Monday, May 17, 2010 at 5:37pm
i believe it would be 56.52 (not 100% positive though) because if the radius is 6, then the circumference would be 3.14(6^2)= 3.14(36) which is 113.04 then you would put that over 360 and set up a proportion:
113.04/360 = x/180 (simplified to 20347.2/360) which gives you a final answer of 56.52
hope this helps!
Geometry - Reiny, Monday, May 17, 2010 at 6:34pm
The height of the equilateral triangle will be a median in that triangle, and the centroid will be the centre of the circle.
That centroid splits the median in the ratio of 2 : 1
so the whole median, or the height of the triangle will be 9 in.
Half of the triangle will be a 30-60-90 triangle whose sides are in the ration of 1 : √3 : 2
9/√3 = b/1
so b = 9/√3 or the base is 18/√3
area of triangle = (1/2)(18/√3)(9) = 81/√3 or 27√3 or 46.765
Just thought of an easier way.
From the centre draw the 3 radii, giving us 3 congruent triangle with sides 6 and 6 and contained angle of 120°
Area of one of these = (1/2)(6)(6)sin120°
= 18(√3/2) = 9√3
but we have 3 of them, so the total equilateral triangle is 27√3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - The radius of the inscribed circle is equal to twice the area of the ...
- geometry - Theres a circle with an equilateral triangle in the middle. The ...
- geometry - An Equilateral triangle (ABC) is inscribed inside a circle. The side ...
- geometry - The perimeter of a triangle, its area, and the radius of the circle ...
- yadlapalli - An equilateral triangle is inscribed in a circle with a radius of 6...
- GEOMETRY CIRCLE - 1.An isosceles triangle with each leg measuring 13 cm is ...
- GEOMETRY CIRCLES PLEASE - 1.An isosceles triangle with each leg measuring 13 cm ...
- Algebra 2 - an equilateral triangle has an inscribed circle with a radius of ...
- GEOMETRY CIRCLES - 1. Ab is a chord of a circle with center o and radius 52 cm...
- Geometry about the circles - 1. Ab is a chord of a circle with center o and ...