Posted by Adam on Friday, May 14, 2010 at 2:59pm.
A 55 kg engineer leaves her office on the 33rd floor of a skyscraper and takes an elevator to the 59th floor. Later she descends to street level. If the engineer takes her office as the zero for potential energy and if the distance from one floor to the next is 3.5 m, what is the engineer’s potential energy (a) in her office, (b) on the 59th floor, and (c) at street level?
college physics - Writeacher, Friday, May 14, 2010 at 3:24pm
To quote one of our very good math and science tutors: “You will find here at Jiskha that long series of questions, posted with no evidence of effort or thought by the person posting, will not be answered. We will gladly respond to your future questions in which your thoughts are included.”
college physics - find any other answers let me know!!!, Saturday, November 27, 2010 at 12:02am
mass m = 55 kg
Distance from one floor to the next h =3.5 m
(a). Potential energy in her office P= mg * 0 = 0 J
Since her office as the zero potential energy
(b). Potential energy on the 59 th floor = mg ( 59 th floor -33 floor )
= mg * 26 floors
= mg * 26 h
= 55*9.8 * 26 * 3.5
= 49049 J
(c). Potential energy at strret level = mg ( 0 thfloor - 33 floor )
= mg * -33 floors
= mg * -33h
= 55*9.8 * -33 * 3.5
= - 62254.5J
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - one elevator leaves first floor of a building at 9:00 a.m. It takes 5 ...
- Physics - Calculate the change in potential energy of a 86.9 kg man when he ...
- physics - It takes the elevator in a skyscraper 4.0 to reach its cruising speed ...
- physics - In a large hotel, a fast elevator takes you from the ground floor to ...
- Math - An elevator starts on the 100th floor of a building. It descends 4 floors...
- equations - you decide to ride ann elevator until it takes you to the ground ...
- physics - It takes the elevator in a skyscraper 4.5s to reach its cruising speed...
- Physics - I just need help with part c. I know stopping takes longer but we have...
- physics - It takes the elevator in a skyscraper 3.6 s to reach its cruising ...
- Saint Joseph's high school - An elevator can lifts 10 people up 12 floors. Each ...