Posted by Gabby on Monday, May 10, 2010 at 10:08am.
A rectangle is 3 times as long as it is wide and has the same perimeter as a square whose are is 4 sp.ft. larger than that of the rectangle. What are the dimensions of both the rectangle and the square?
- Math - Reiny, Monday, May 10, 2010 at 2:33pm
width = x
length = 3x
perimeter = 8x
area = 3x^2
perimeter = 4y
area = y^2
perimeters are the same --> 4y = 8x
y = 2x
area of square is 4 more than area of rectangle
y^2 = 3x^2 + 4
4x^2 = 3x^2 + 4
x^2 = 4
x = 2, then y = 4
width = 2
length = 6
perimeter = 16
area = 12
side = 4
perimeter = 16
area = 16 , which is 4 more than that of the rectangle
- Math - Joseph, Monday, May 10, 2010 at 5:27pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 2nd grade math - If you have a rectangle with 24 square units 3 lines down 8 ...
- math - A square has the same area as a rectangle whose longer side is 2 times ...
- math - a rectangle is 27 m long and 3 m wide waht is the length of an side of a ...
- math - A rectangle is 4 times as long as it is wide. A 2nd rectangle is ...
- math - a rectangle is twice as long as it is wide. if both of its dimensions are...
- math - a rectangle is 4 times as long as it is wide. a second rectangle is 5 ...
- grade 3 math - 1) what is the greates perimeter of a rectangle with an area of ...
- Algebra - A rectangle is 5 times longer then it is wide. If perimeter of the ...
- math - The leng of the smaller rectangle is 1 inch less than twice its wide. ...
- math - Perimeter of rectangle and a square are equal. Perimeter of the square is...