Posted by Pookie on Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 11:04pm.
What is the solubility of RaSO4 in 0.1381M Na2SO4? Ksp = 4.3x10^-11?
- Chemistry 212 - DrBob222, Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 11:37pm
RaSO4 ==> Ra^+2 + SO4^-2
Ksp = (Ra^+2)(SO4^-2).
If you let S = solubility RaSO4, then
Ra^+2 = S
SO4^-2 = S from RaSO4 and 0.1381 M in Na2SO4 so a total of (S + 0.1381)
Substitute those values into Ksp expression and solve for S.
- Chemistry 212 - Pookie, Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 11:44pm
Ksp = [Ra^+2][SO4^-2]
4.3x10^-11 = [x][x]
6.56x10^-6 + .1381??
is that how im suppose to do it?
- Chemistry 212 - DrBob222, Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 11:54pm
4.3 x 10^-11 = (x)(x+0.1381)
solve for x.
If you solve the equation as I wrote it you will need to solve a quadratic. Those are usually easy to do with modern calculators; however, you CAN make a simplifying assumption. You make the assumption that x + 0.1381 = 0.1381 (that is, that x is so small in comparison to 0.1381 that when added it isn't different than 0.1381). The equation then would look like this.
4.3 x 10^-11 = (x)(0.1381) and solve for x. When you finish, then look at x+0.1381 and see how far it is from 0.1381. If x is so small that x+0.1381 is just 0.1381, then the assumption is ok. If not, the assumption is not ok and you must solve the quadratic. I ALWAYS make the assumption first and solve the easy equation, then check at the end and see if the assumption is ok.
- Chemistry 212 - Pookie, Monday, May 10, 2010 at 12:14am
thanks a bunch!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Calculate the molar solubility of MX2, if the Ksp=3.3x10^-8 i ...
- Chemistry - what is the molar solubility of lead sulfate in 1.0 X 10^-3 M Na2SO4...
- chemistry - what is the solubility of barium sulfate in a solution containing 0...
- chemistry - Calculate the molar solubility of MX2, if the Ksp=3.3x10^-8 how can ...
- chem - The Ksp of PbI2 is 8.7x10^-9. Find the solubility of lead(II) iodide on ...
- HELPP !! - Copper(I) ions in aqueous solution react with NH3 according to Cu...
- Chemistry - Which of the following substances has the greatest solubility in ...
- Chemistry - What is the concentration of ammonia in a solution that is .500 M ...
- chemistry - The mineral CaF2 has a solubility of 2.1 x 10^-4 M. What is the Ksp ...
- Chemistry - What is the solubility in grams per liter of SrSO4, in 0.23 M Na2SO4...