Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, May 8, 2010 at 9:09pm.
solve the equation. chech for extraneous solutions.
how do i do this.
- math - MathMate, Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 9:16am
Use the rules of exponents, for example:
raise to the fourth power on each side:
However, note that since 2^4=16, (-2)^4=16, the roots to the equation appear to be 2,-2.
Since we have squared both sides of the equation, twice, we need to check for extraneous roots (that may have been introduced because of squaring) by substituting the possible answers into the original equation.
We find that -2 is not a correct answer, thus an extraneous root.
The answer is therefore 2.
I will leave you to tackle the remaining questions.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - 1) Solve the equation for p. Identify any extraneous solutions. √p...
- Precalculus - Solve (log x)^2 = log x Also, when will their be a possibility ...
- Math - Solve the equation. Identify any extraneous solutions. x = sqrt root 3x...
- Alg 2 - Solve the equation. Check for extraneous solutions. ln x + ln(x-2) = 1
- algebra - Solve each equation. Watch for extraneous solutions 5/y-3 = y+7/2y-6 +...
- Math-Clarification - Identify any real and extraneous solutions for the ...
- algebra - Solve the equation check for extraneous solutions 9[9-8x]=2x+3 please ...
- math - Solve the equation check for extraneous solutions 6/6-4x/=8x+4 I used/ / ...
- algebra 2 - Solve the equation. Check for extraneous solutions. 9|9-8x|=2x+3 can...
- Alg 2 - Solve the equation. Check for extraneous solutions. 10 ln 100x - 3 = ...