Posted by Julia on Thursday, May 6, 2010 at 9:53pm.
A 10 foot ladder leans against a 20 foot wall. Someone begins pushing the base of the ladder toward the wall at the rate of one foot per second. How quickly is the top of the ladder moving up the wall after 2 seconds?
Calculus - bobpursley, Thursday, May 6, 2010 at 10:08pm
Let y be the wall height
let x be the horizontal distance
2x dx/dt+2y dy/dt=0
so calculate the x,y positions after 2 seconds, I have no idea the starting position.
Calculus - Reiny, Thursday, May 6, 2010 at 10:18pm
This problem is the most popular lead-in question to "rate of change" questions for almost any Calculus text I have seen
Let the ladder be x ft from the wall, and y m up the wall
we know x^2 + y^2 = 100
2x(dx/dt) + 2y(dy/dt) = 0
given: dx/dt = 1 ft/s
find dy/dt when t = 2 or
in other words, when x = 2 ft since we know in 2 s it moved 2 ft.
also when x = 2
2^2 + y^2 = 100
y = √96
2(2)(1) + 2√96(dy/dt) = 0
dy/dt = -4/(2√96
= -.204 ft/s
at that moment the top of the ladder is dropping (note the - sign) at .204 ft/s
Just realized I read the question as the foot of the ladder moving away from the wall, so just change
dx/dt to -1,
the result will change to dy/dt = +.204
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - a 5m ladder rests against a vertical wall. The top of the ladder ...
- Calculus - A ladder 15 meters long leans against a vertical wall. If the foot of...
- Calculus - related rates: a ladder, 12 feet long, is leaning against a wall. if ...
- Analytical Geometry - A 10 foot long ladder is leaning against a vertical wall ...
- math - the top of a ladder 6 m long is resting against a vertical wall on a ...
- Elements of Calc. - A 17 foot ladder is placed against a wall. if the foot of ...
- Calculus - A 12-ft ladder is leaning against a vertical wall when Jack begins ...
- Math Calculus - The foot of a 30-foot ladder is being pulled away from a ...
- math - A ladder 10 m long rests on horizontal ground and leans against a ...
- Maths - a ladder 25ft long leans against a wall with its foot on level ground ...