Posted by Katy on Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 9:49pm.
A sample of helium behaves as an ideal gas as it is heated at constant pressure from 273 K to 373 K. If 15.0 J of work is done by the gas during this process, what is the mass of helium present?
I am not sure what equations to use for this problem....
- Physics - Damon, Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 10:00pm
p dV + V dp = n R dT
p is constant here so
p dV = n R dT
work = integral p dV = nR dT
p(V2-V1) = n R (T2-T1)
so 15 = n R (T2-T1)
- Physics - Katy, Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 10:06pm
doesnt that give me an answer in moles? ...is there a way to convert moles to mg?
- Physics - Katy, Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 10:12pm
so i got the answer to be .01804 moles
and i know one mole of helium is 4.03 g
do i just multiply the two together? and then divide by 10000 to convert g to mg?
- Physics - Katy, Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 10:14pm
never mind. I made a silly error.
i got .01804 moles...multiplied that times 4.03grams and then multiplied that times 1000 and got 72.7mg.
got it! thanks so much!
- Physics - ?Unknown?, Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at 9:19pm
what are we solving for in this equation?? 15 = n R (T2-T1)
we know n, we know R, we know t1 and t2...so what do we solve for?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A sample of helium behaves as an ideal gas as it is heated at constant...
- Physics - Suppose that 4.7 moles of a monatomic ideal gas (atomic mass = 8.5 × ...
- Physics - A sealed container of volume 0.10 m3 holds a sample of 3.0 x 10^24 ...
- physics - One kilogram of an ideal gas is heated from 27*C to 327*C. If the ...
- Physics - An ideal gas in a rigid container (constant volume) has its pressure ...
- Physics - A tank with a constant volume of 3.44 m3 contains 14 moles of a ...
- Physics - A cylinder with a movable piston contains 14 moles of a monatomic ...
- Physics HELP!!!!!!!! - Suppose 0.021 mole of an ideal monatomic gas has a ...
- Physics - A container having a volume of 1 m3 holds 90 mol of helium gas at 176...
- Chem hw! - 1. What pressure would be needed to compress 25.1 mL of hydrogen at 1...