Posted by David on Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 8:56pm.
I've been staring at this problem for an hour and have NO IDEA WHAT TO DO!
"A quadratic function in the form f(x)=ax^2+bx+c contains the points (-1,0), (0,2), and (2,0)."
a) determine the values of a,b, and, c
b) Factorise the expression ax^2+bx+c obtained from the function in part (a)
please help! i've tried EVERYTHING :(
Math - MathMate, Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 9:12pm
from (-1,0), we conclude that
a(-1)^2 + b(-1) + c = 0......(1)
Similarly, from (0,2), we have
a(0)^2 + b(0) + c = 2........(2)
and from (2,0), we get
a(2)^2 + b(2) + c = 0........(3)
By solving the system of linear equations (1),(2) and (3), you will find the values of a,b and c.
After substituting the numerical values of a,b and c into f(x), you can factorize as required in question (c).
Note: the system of linear equations is easy to solve because if you examine equation (2), it reduces to c=2.
By substituting the value of c in (1) and (3), you only have to solve a system of 2 equations with two unknowns (a and b).
Math - Damon, Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at 4:01am
A quadratic function in the form f(x)=ax^2+bx+c contains the points (-1,0), (0,2), and (2,0)."
y = (x+1)(x-2)(k)
2 = (1)(-2)(k)
2 = -2k
k = -1
y = (x+1)(x-2)(-1) (factored already)
y = -x^2 + x + 2
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- College Math - For questions 1-2, apply the quadratic formula to find the roots...
- math - determine the quadratic function whose graph contains the points(-2,-1...
- Math - The following three points are produced by some quadratic function of the...
- calculus - Suppose the function G(t) represents a test grade (out of 100 points...
- calc - one more question!! what values of c deos the polynomial f(x) = x^4 + cx^...
- Math(Quadratic Functions) - Determine the quadratic function, f(x), with x ...
- Maths - It is given a quadratic function y=a(x-h)62+k.If its graph is a parabola...
- Math - Okay I have a scatterplot, so I have points on the graph. I need to use ...
- math - Part of the road is to be on a parabolic curve given by a function of the...
- math - f(x)=x^2-mx+5 and g(x)=nx^2+x-3. The functions are combined to form the ...