Posted by chem help on Sunday, May 2, 2010 at 4:13pm.
In the chemical plating experiment zinc powder is dissolved in a hot NaOH solution to form
sodium zincate according to the following reacton:
Zn(s) + 2NaOH(aq) Na2ZnO2(aq) + H2(g)
Answer true or false for each of the following statements regarding the reaction above.
Zn(s) is reduced to form Zn+.
Na+ is oxidized to form Na2+.
Zn(s) is oxidized to form Zn2+.
For every mole of Zn(s), two moles of sodium hydroxide are used .
I think the answers are
Can you check if these are right please?
chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, May 2, 2010 at 4:22pm
Look at 1 and 3.
Zn has oxidation state of zero on the left and +2 on the right. So it lost electrons, right? Loss of electrons is oxidation. Remember, Leo the lion goes Grrr. LEO--loss electrons oxidation.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry: Answer check please! - 1. Reactions follow the law of conservation of...
- chemistry - A scientist is performing an experiment on a powder. Which of the ...
- Chemistry - In a volumetric analysis experiment, a solution of sodium oxalate in...
- biology can someone check - Decide if each of the following statements is true....
- science(Chemistry) - Calculate the concentration of the NaOH solution. If 30,...
- Chemistry - A sample of 8.44 grams of NaOH is dissolved into 536 mL of aqueous 0...
- chemistry 101 - If 15g of NaOh is dissolved in 285 g of water, calculate the ...
- CHEMISTRY - You have been given a sample of unknown molarity. Calculate the ...
- Chemistry - 1. You have been given a sample of unknown molarity. Calculate the ...
- chemistry - To analyze for barium in an unknown white powder, an excess of ...