Posted by Mary on Monday, April 26, 2010 at 8:10pm.
Why does losing two electrons to form a +2 Cation cause the greatest shrinkage in atomic radius of the following? People are telling me that's the answer but I don't understand.
a. Gaining one electron to form a 1+ cation
b. Losing two electrons to form a 2+ cation
c. Gaining two electrons to form a 2- anion
d. Gaining two electrons to form a 2+ cation
e. Gaining one electron to form a 1- anion
f. Losing one electron to form a 1+ cation
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, April 26, 2010 at 8:34pm
Losing electrons from an outside shell forms a + charge (cation) AND reduces the size (fewer electrons occupy less space).
Gaining electrons forms a negative charge (anion) AND increases the size (more electrons occupy a larger space).
a. Gaining one electron to form a 1+ cation Gaining one electron forms an anion.
b. Losing two electrons to form a 2+ cation OK
c. Gaining two electrons to form a 2- anion See above. Gaining electrons increases the size.
d. Gaining two electrons to form a 2+ cation Gaining two electrons forms a -2 charge
e. Gaining one electron to form a 1- anion True BUT gaining electrons increases the size.
f. Losing one electron to form a 1+ cation True and it decreases the size but not as much as losing two electrons.
- Chemistry - Mary, Monday, April 26, 2010 at 11:00pm
Much obliged. I appreciate how you explain how to figure it out, as opposed to just telling me the answer.
- Chemistry - Evette, Thursday, November 4, 2010 at 11:37pm
How many electrons are transferred between the cation and anion to form the ionic bond in one formula unit of each compound? LIF, CaS, NaCI, KBr, BaO
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry (Check) - i have to fill in the blanks In an ionic compound the ...
- Chemistry - How to solve this: One isotope of a metallic element has mass # of ...
- Chemistry-Bonding - Classify the following bonds as ionic, covalent, or neither...
- Chemistry - "Would you expect each of the following atoms to gain or lose ...
- chemistry - Can someone please help me with these? How many electrons would ...
- Chemistry - Which of the following elements (C, B, Be, Li for both parts of the ...
- chemistry - 1.what is meant by atomic number of an element? 2.the mass number of...
- Chemistry - 1) What is the atomic # for selenium? 34 2) Write the full electron ...
- Physical Science - How do atoms react with each other to form other substances? ...
- Chem - Elements - I need help on identifying four elements. 1. a member of the ...