Posted by James on Monday, April 26, 2010 at 6:53am.
Can someone please help me undersand how to get the answer to this question
A 15.0 mL solution of 0.050 mol/L AgNO3 was titrated with 0.0250 mol/L NaBr in the cell
SCE || titrated solution | Ag(s)
Find the cell voltage for 10.0 mL of titrant added.
(a) -0.0312 V
(b) 0.194 V
(c) 0.457 V
(d) 0.698 V
(e) None of these is correct
Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, April 26, 2010 at 1:22pm
Check me out on this. The differing systems can be confusing.
The SCE placed on the left SHOULD mean it is the anode and the reaction occurring there is oxidation.
Look up your value of SCE, write it as an oxidation and the appropriate sign. I THINK it is -.241 if written as an oxidation.
For the right hand compartment of the cell, we have the reduction portion which is
E = Eo-(0.0592/n)*log[(Ag)/(Ag^+)]
E = 0.799 -(0.0592/1)log[(1)/(0.02)]
Check out reduction potential for Ag. It may be different from 0.799 in your text. The 0.02 comes from this.
15 mL x 0.05 = 0.75 mmoles Ag^+ initially.
10 mL x 0.025 = 0.25 mmoles Br^- added.
0.75-0.25 = 0.5 mmoles Ag^+ remaining in a volume of 25 mL which is 0.02 M.
Calculate E which is E of the Ag^+ cell.
Then Ecell = Eoxidization half + Eredn half = Ecalomel + EAg
Make sure the calomel is written as an oxidation and the sign is appropriate for the voltage.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry-Help Please - Help please. Am doing a past exam paper and I hit a road...
- chemistry - Please let me know if my answer to the following question is correct...
- Chemistry - Help please. Am doing a past exam paper and I hit a road block with ...
- CHEMISTRY - 1) An NaOH solution of unknown concentration is titrated with HCl. ...
- chemistry - We add excess NaCl solution (58.44 g/mol) to 64 mL of a solution of ...
- chemistry - We add excess NaCl solution (58.44 g/mol) to 56 mL of a solution of ...
- College Chemistry - A Galvanic cell consists of Mg electrode in a 1.0 mol L -1 ...
- Chemistry - "An aqueous sodium borate solution is titrated to the second ...
- CHEMISTRY: URGENT DRBob222 - Why was the reaction mixture titrated quickly? (...
- Chemistry - How many moles of sodium chloride must be added to an aqueous ...