Posted by Reiny on Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 6:54pm.
You now have 6 different posts going for the same "cake question"
I am not going to keep going back to see which one you replied to. Stay with one posting please.
I just notice one way down the list where you did part a) Calculate the area on top of the slice that has been cut out and you got 50.3 something
area = (60/360)(144π) = 24π = 75.4
- FOR NABIAH - anonymous, Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 6:57pm
ok sorry, but i dont get how you are getting that? where is the 60 and 144 coming from, my answers for both a and b were right- its just c
- FOR NABIAH - anonymous, Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 6:59pm
have you looked at my long explanation to see how I attempted it?
- FOR NABIAH - Reiny, Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 7:06pm
You said after a slice is cut, there are 320° of cake left, so the slice must have had a sector angle of 60° , since there are 360° in one rotation.
Area of the whole top is πr^2 = π(12^2) = 144π
If you were trying to do it by ratios, then
area/144π = 60/360
area/144π = 1/6
area = (1/6)144π = 24π like I had
b) the volume of the whole cake = (πr^2)h
so again, a slice is 1/6 of that volume.
- FOR NABIAH - Reiny, Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 7:11pm
Nabiha, I just realized I made a very silly error.
Of course then angle of the slice is 40° and not 60
I am sorry to have caused you all this trouble.
so your answer to a) would be
(40/360)(144π) = 50.3, which I believe you had
change all my other calculations using the 1/6 to 1/9
because 40/360 = 1/9
- FOR NABIAH - nabiha, Friday, April 23, 2010 at 12:09pm
ok, but what about question c) what formulas would I use, is my method correct?
- FOR NABIAH - nabiha, Friday, April 23, 2010 at 12:15pm
that is by using sections and work out the area of the 3 parts: 1)rectangle * 2(shown by the slice being cut), 2)long rectangle around cake (stops when you get to slice) and finally 3)the top and bottom of the cake ( angle is 320)
how do I work out the area of 2) and 3) so then I can add them to get the total surface area with the slice cut
Ive already shown this in my long explanation of my method to c) can you please comment on that one aswell.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- ENGLISH 11 - where are you going my mother asked you know you have to tell me ...
- Advanced Math - Find DE if D=[-2 4 6] and E=[1 -2] [5 -7 1] [0 4] [-3 4] I ...
- statistik and probability - n a college class of 250 graduating seniors 50 have ...
- English - 1. Tadpole noodles are made from corn. 2. Tadpole noodles are made of...
- English - 1. He delayed leaving for Paris. 2. He delayed to leave for Paris. (...
- English - I'd like you to check these other sentences please. Thank you very ...
- English - I have a question on my previous post. Why do you say "in the morning ...
- English - I left out the following sentences. Thank you very much. It is really ...
- English - Can you please check these sentences for me? It's really urgent. 1) At...
- English - Look at the things in the picture. What can you see there? Answer the ...