Posted by PEACE :) on Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 2:46am.
An equilateral prism of silica flint glassis used to refract white light. The indexof refraction of silica flint is 1.66 forviolet light and 1.62 for red light.
What is the angle of separation between
the violet and red ends of the rainbow
produced when the ray of white light is
incident at an angle of 50.0° with
respect to the normal?
- snell's law - PEACE :), Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 2:57am
From what i understand in this question, white light goes from air through the prism which splits it into red and violet. the question is asking about the angle between red and violet when it comes out in the air from the prism.
i used snells law to find the angle of refraction in the prism first.
going from air to prism
red => 1sin50 = 1.62 sin (theta)
theta (red) = 28.22
violet => 1 sin50 = 1.66 sin (theta)
theta (violet) = 27.48
i tried to use these angles to find the refraction angles from prism to air which gives me 50 again and sounds wrong.
not sure how to go about this problem.
- snell's law - bobpursley, Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 8:35am
There are are two refractions, you will have to draw a diagram and figure the effect of each refraction.
- snell's law - tolako, Sunday, June 2, 2013 at 1:59am
PRIMARY RAINBOW: Combine φ=4r−2i with Snell's Law to express the angle φ as a function of i and n only.
(a) Evaluate φ(i,n) for the following values (give your answers in degrees):
a.1) i=3∘, n=1.35
a.2) i=46∘, n=1.3
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A ray of light of frequency 5.09 x 10^14 Hz passes from air into flint...
- physics - Horizontal rays of red light (λ = 660 nm, in vacuum) and violet ...
- physics - A very narrow beam of white light is incident at 40.40° onto the top ...
- Physics help - A very narrow beam of white light is incident at 40.40° onto the...
- science - A combination of two prism one of flint &other of crown glass produces...
- Physics - A very narrow beam of white light is incident at 56.10° onto the top ...
- Physics again - The equilateral glass prism shown has an index of refraction of ...
- physics - A diamond's index of refraction for red light, 656 nm, is 2.410, while...
- Phy - The index of refraction for a diamond for red light of wavelength 655 nm ...
- Physics - n=1.331 for red light in water and n=1.34 for blue light in water. If ...