Posted by Meredith on Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 8:02pm.
Can we try this again? I already posted this question and thank you for responding but I just don't understand. I am posting it again because I need to clarify that I have formulas my professor has us use but since I've never come across a problem like this one before I am just a bit confused.
Quadratic Function problem:
When a certain drug is taken orally, the concentration of the drug in the patients bloodstream after t minutes is given by C(t)=0.06t-0.0002t^2, where 0 ≤ t ≤ 240 and the concentration is measured by mg/L. When is the maximum serum concentration reached, and what is that maximum concentration?
In class we were given formulas such as:
f(x)= ax^2 + bx+ c
And then an f(x) or whatever the letters are being used in the word problem where you plug in the answer for x back into the original equation. I just don't understand what role the 0 ≤ t ≤ 240 comes in because we haven't done any like this in class yet but it was assigned for hw! help?
- College Algebra - Reiny, Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 8:54pm
is a quadratic function of the form you were given
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
a = -.0002
b = .06
c = 0
x = -b/(2a) gives you the x value where the max value of your function exists, so
t = -.06/(2(-.0002)) = 150
now sub that back into the equation to find the actual concentration
C(150) = .06(150) - .0002(150)^2 = 4.5 units
notice that t = 150 falls within the domain given of 0 ≤ t ≤ 240 , the reason probably is that after 240 minutes the drug would have worn off.
I believe bobpursley gave you that same answer in an earlier post, using Calculus.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Anatomy/Biology-Please check - I'm posting this again today hoping someone can ...
- To Amanda - I deleted same lengthy assignment that you've posted three times in ...
- math - Is this the answear to 36x^2 y^4 a^-2 ____________________ 72a x^-1 y ^ ...
- Algebra again - I don't understand how to do this problems: Solve for the ...
- Algebra - What is the Solution to -54/x = -6? A. X = 9 B. X = -6 C. X = 6 D. X...
- MsSue- re - im sorry my post appeared twice it didnt show my question when i ...
- English - I scored 3428 on my scantron test. Is that a good score? I've already ...
- Poetry - please read this poem and tell me how I can inprove it. Thanks! Where ...
- science - No question was posted. Try again.
- re -same question again - sorry to post this question again but i am having ...