Posted by Diana on Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 9:00pm.
How many milliliters of NH3 (at STP) are needed to react with 45.0 mL of NO2 (at STP) according to the equation.
Can someone please... help me?
8NO2 (g) + 6NH3 (g) --> 7N2) (g) + 9H2O (g)
IS this help?
a) 45.0 mL
b) 27.5 mL
c) 33.8 mL
d) 60.0 mL
- chemistry - Amphee, Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 9:11pm
I got C). 33.75 or 33.8. Use Spectrometry. You have 45.0ml of NO2 right. Convert that to Liters so you get .045L. Since its at STP convert .045L to moles using 22.4 L/mol.
(.002 moles of NO2)[(6 moles of NH3)/(8 moles of NO2)] = .0015 mole of NH3
use 22.4 L/mol to convert it to L and multiply it by 1000 to convert to milliliters.
Hope that helps.
- chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 10:00pm
Amphee is correct but let me introduce both of you to a shortcut that can be used WHEN ALL OF THE MATERIALS ARE GASES.
The rationale first:
Since you divide by 22.4 to convert to moles, then multiply by 22.4 to convert back to volume, you can omit both of those steps and simply use the coefficients as the following:
45 mL NO x (6 mols NH3/8 moles NO) = 33.75 mL NH3.
- chemistry - Diana, Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 10:46pm
Thank you so much both of you. It really help me to understand. :)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - How many milliliters of NH3 (at STP) are needed to react with 45.0 ...
- chemistry - How many milliliters of NH3 (at STP) are needed to react with 45.0 ...
- college chemistry - Consider the following equation: 4 NH3(g) + 5 O2(g)= 4 NO(g...
- chemistry - The equation for burning C2H2 is 2C2H2(g) + 5O2(g) ⎯→ ...
- College Chemistry - What volume of the solution in 5a would be necessary to ...
- Chemistry - Consider the following equation: 4NH3(g) + 5O2(g)----> 4NO(g)+...
- chemistry - Suppose 100 mL of NO at STP is mixed with 400 mL of O2 at STP. 2 NO...
- CHEMISTRY URGENT! - assume that 13.5g of AL react with HCl according to the ...
- chemistry - How many grams of NH3 form when 27.5L of H2 (measured at STP)react ...
- chemistry - Zinc metal reacts with hydrochloric acid to produce hydrogen gas ...