Posted by Kristin on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 1:49pm.
I'm trying to find the solubility of Ca(OH)2 in .0125 mol/L aqueous NaOH. Here is my data:
Vol of solution used per titration: 20mL
Conc of HCl: .1201 mol/L
Average Titre: 4.71
I need to calculte:
1. the TOTAL [OH-] in the saturated solution of Ca(OH)2 in NaOH
2. the [OH-] due to dissolved Ca(OH)2
3. [Ca2+] in the saturated solution
4. the Ksp for Ca(OH)2 for the saturated solution of Ca(OH)2 in NaOH at 21.2 degrees C
5. determine the solubility of Ca(OH)2 in the NaOH solution
I'm just not understanding how to do the calculations with NaOH included.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 2:34pm
1. The TOTAL OH should be determined from moles HCl used in the titration. The HCl can't tell the difference between NaOH OH and Ca(OH)2 OH and you obtain total OH with this titration.
2. You know how much OH is there due to NaOH from its concn and volume added.
3. Thus, the Ca^+2 is the difference between the two with an adjustment made for Ca being 1/2 of OH of Ca(OH)2.
4.Ksp for Ca(OH)2 is then (Ca^+2)(OH^-)^2
5. The solubility of Ca(OH)2 in NaOH is just the (Ca^+2).
Check my thinking.
Chemistry - Kristin, Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 7:35pm
Ok, so for the first one I got mol of HCl=4.92x10^-4 and so [OH-] is 4.92x10^-4/.020L = .0246 mol/L. Is that correct?
And then from there I have the [OH-] in NaOH to be (.0125)(.020L) = 2.5x10^-4
[OH-] in Ca(OH)2 is .0246-2.5x10^-4 = .02435
[Ca2+] then is .012175
Are my calculations correct?
Chemistry - Ramvir SOLANKI, Friday, June 12, 2015 at 2:19am
your calculations are correct.........
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - (A) is a solution of hcl (b)is a solution of koh titrate against b8 ...
- chemistry - So I did a titration lab at school with NaOH and HCl. i have to find...
- CHEM - Which of the following mixtures will result in the formation of a buffer ...
- chemistry - What mass of sodium hydroxide pellets must be poured into a waste ...
- Chemistry - I have troubles with a titration of NaOH and HCl. The volume of the ...
- Chemistry - Solubility - INFORMATION: [HCl] = 0.1388 M We placed 0.5 g Ca(OH)2 ...
- chemistry - KHP is a monoprotic acid with a molar mass of 204.22 g/mol. The ...
- chemistry - Which of the following mixtures will be a buffer when dissolved in a...
- chemistry - HCl is titrated with NaOH. When doing the titration, some of the ...
- Chemistry - Hi,may I have your help? I have posted a titration question that I'm...