Posted by Katie on Friday, April 9, 2010 at 12:09am.
A beam of mass mb = 10.0 kg, is suspended from the ceiling by a single rope. It has a mass of m2 = 40.0 kg attached at one end and an unknown mass m1 attached at the other. The beam has a length of L = 3 m, it is in static equilibrium, and it is horizontal, as shown in the figure above. The tension in the rope is T = 637 N.
(a) Determine the unknown mass m1, at the left end of the beam.
(b) Determine the distance, x, from the left end of the beam to the point where the rope is attached. Note: take the torque about the left end of the beam.
- Physics - drwls, Friday, April 9, 2010 at 1:51am
(a) From static equilibrium,
(m1 + m2 + mb)g = T = 637 M
Solve for m1
(b) Now that you know all three masses, and that the weight of the beam acts through the center, do as they suggest and set the torque about either end of the beam equal to zero. That will let you solve for x. I cannot do this for you because you have not said which end has mass m1.
- Physics - katie, Friday, April 9, 2010 at 1:35pm
left side has m1
Right side has m2
picture looks like this
I T= 637
mb= 10kg I
- Physics - kurdy, Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 2:01pm
the uniform beam has a mass of 180 kg under equilibrium. determine the reaction at the supports
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A beam of mass mb = 10.0 kg, is suspended from the ceiling by a single...
- Physics - A beam with a length of 7 m and a mass of 110 kg is attached by a ...
- physics - A rope of negligible mass passes over a puley of a negligible mass ...
- Physics - A 3.0 m beam with mass 50.0 kg is attached to a wall with a hinge. A ...
- Physics - Consider two masses that hang from an overhead beam. The first mass of...
- Physics - Beam supported by a rope that can rotate about a hinge. The beam is ...
- Physics - A purple beam is hinged to a wall to hold up a blue sign. The beam has...
- physics - 1.An elastic cord is 5.0m long and 1.0cm in diameter and acts as a ...
- Physics - An unknown mass is suspended by a string from one end of an uniform ...
- physics - Consider a beam as shown in the figure that is 2 m long and supported ...