Posted by andy on Thursday, April 8, 2010 at 12:23am.
I also had a problem with this type of questionthe initial pressure of NOCl(g) is 4.329 atm, calculate the % of NOCl(g) left over after the reaction reaches equilibrium according to the balanced equation. The value of Kp at 400.0 °C is 1.99. The initial pressure of the reaction products is 0 atm.
2NOCl(g) = 2NO(g)+Cl2(g)
chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, April 8, 2010 at 12:54am
NOCl = 4.329
NO = 0
Cl2 = 0
NOCl = -2x
NO = +2x
Cl2 = x
NOCl = 4.329 - 2x
NO = 2x
Cl2 = x
Substitute into Kp and solve for x, multiply by 2 and subtract from original. That gives pressure of NOCl at equilibrium. I don't know if percent is to be based on pressure or not. I would think it would be based on grams but I don't see a way to quickly convert to grams.One way might be to convert Kp to Kc and find concns at equilibrium, then tak a liter.
chemistry - Hmm, Thursday, April 8, 2010 at 11:35pm
1.99 = (3x)/(4.329-2x)
8.615 - 3.98x = 3x
8.615 = 6.98x
x = 1.23
NO = 2.46 atm
Cl2 = 1.23 atm
The question now is, how to find the % NOCl left over?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - If the initial pressure of NH3(g) is 7.845 atm, calculate the % of ...
- chemistry - If the initial pressure of SO3(g) is 4.775 atm, calculate the % of ...
- Chemistry - If the initial pressure of NH3(g) is 0.7317 atm, calculate the % of ...
- Chemistry - 0.500 moles of NOCl is placed in a 1.00L vessel at 700K,and after ...
- Ap Chemistry - Hi, I was wondering if you could possibly help me with this chem ...
- Chem II - 2.5 mol NOCl(g) was placed in a 2.50 L reaction vessel at 400 degrees ...
- chemistry - A 2.30 mole quantity of NOCl was initially in a 1.50 L reaction ...
- chem 12 - consider the following equilibrium 2NOCl(g)--- 2 NO(g) + Cl2(g) ...
- Chemistry chemical equilibrium - 1.25 mol of NOCl was placed in a 2.50 L ...
- Chemistry(Please help) - 1) Nitrosyl chloride (NOCl) decomposes at high ...