Posted by Sara on Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 9:16pm.
What are Friends For-by rosellen brown
What are friends for, my mother asks.
A duty undone, visit missed,
casserole unbaked for sick Jane.
Someone has just made her bitter.
Nothing. They are for nothing, friends, I think. All they do in the end-they touch you. They fill you like music.
how does the mother's point of view of friendship differ from the daughter's?
I don't really understand half of the poem. I think that the mom is unable to get the actual picture. She is unable to get the point that friends are not "angels"; they are not supernatural beings, they are humans, and humans tend to make a lot of mistakes. Her daughter gets that point.
Am I correct on this one?
what poetic devices are in here?
-metaphors-compares friends to?
-simile-friens to music
Are there any other poetic devices in here?
which do you relate to better? stanza one or two.
I relate better to stanza two because I get how it describes music to friends. In the last stanza it's basically saying that as you listen to music; you begin to get the hang of it, and the music is memorized~it just stays in your mind and posesses your heart. In the same way friends appear, they build that relationship with you, and you are just unable to break it.
Am I correct? Any other views would be appreciated, thanks
- English-Friendship Poem - eva, Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 9:24pm
actually i get stanza 2 but i relate more to stanza 1 because its more detailed of you wat i mean!
- English-Friendship Poem - Sara, Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 9:41pm
sorry, but I do not get how you relate more to stanza than stanza 2.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- To: Ms. Sue - Ms. Sue could you please look through this and tell me if my ...
- poetry - narrative poem John and Fred are the awesomest friends They hang all ...
- poem - my teacher said that my poem doesnt have any rhythm or sound. can you ...
- English - What is the theme in the poem Lineage by Mararet Walker and The ...
- English - These are my last 2 questions. Identify the incorrectly punctuated ...
- language - My teacher said that my narrative poem has no rhythm and sound. can ...
- poem - i fixed my narrative poem this time and i made it all rhyme. so can you ...
- English - 1. Vivien and Fiona visit their friends on every Friday. 2. Vivien and...
- English - 1. He didn't use to go fishing with his friends. 1-2. Didn't he use to...
- English - 1. Ask your friends for help, and they will help you. 2. Ask for your ...