Posted by Franco on Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 6:08pm.
Can you please tell me if the following expressions are all possible? Thank you very much in advance.
1)The church played (and not had?) a fundamental role in medieval times.
2)It gave consolation to the oppressed and assistance to the poor. (is the preposition correct?)
3)Latin was both the language of the church and of learning.
4)Beowulf has to fight against (is against necessary?) two gigantic monsters.
5)A word is renamed using (and not by using) two separate words or a compound word.
6)Anticlerical groups grew/rose (are both possible?) in the Middle Ages.
7)During the 14th century, at that time, in that century (are the prepositions all possible?)
8)The 14th century saw the rise of the middle classes upon the political, social and economical scene (OR the middle classes appeared upon the ….? )
9)In the fight with the dragon Beowulf represents for the good (stands for the good is also possible?) whereas the serpentine fire-breathing dragon represents for the evil.
- English - SraJMcGin, Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 7:16pm
1. either. By the way, are you given ONE sentence and asked to find another way to say the same thing, OR are all the sentences your original "inventions?"
4. either fight against or fight
7. select one preposition phrase and not both, right?
8. hmmm, perhaps in or of, rather than upon?
9. I'd put a comma after "dragon" to be able to pause for breath. Then either "represents the good" or "stands for the good" Also at the end about the dragon "represents evil" or "stands for evil."
Sra (aka Mme)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - Thank you very much for your corrections. Can you help me with these ...
- English - Can you please tell me if all the sentences typed below are possible? ...
- English - Can you check the following sentences for me? Let me know how I can ...
- English - Can you check if the following sentences are possible in English? ...
- English - Thank you very much for your corrections. These are the very last ...
- English - Thank you very much for your last corrections! Could you possibly ...
- English - I forgot to include these other three sentences. Thank you very much ...
- Human resources - Explain the role played by H.R. in the health and safety of ...
- English - Hello. Please tell me if the following variants are possible: "I like ...
- English - 1. I liked the work very much because I could help orphans who needed ...