Posted by Kassie on Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 10:02pm.
Five cards are drawn at random without replacement from and ordinary deck of 52. What is the probability all 5 cards are from the same suit?
- Statistics - Reiny, Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 10:23pm
1 of the 4 suits ---> C(4,1) = 4
5 from one of those suits = C(13,5) ---> 1287
5 from the whole deck ---> C(52,5) = 2598960
so prob = 4(1287)/2598960
= 33/16660 = .00198
- Statistics - Kassie, Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 10:39pm
I'm confused as to how you're getting these numbers... Could you possible break it down a little farther please? I don't understand how you get from C(52,5)=2598960...Thank you so much for helping!
- Statistics - Reiny, Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 11:24pm
Have you learned the difference between permutations and combinations?
in combinations the order does not matter.
(if I hold 5 cards in my hand, the order in which they were dealt to me does not matter)
C(13,5) means ..
how many groups of 5 can I form from 13
It is short form for 13!/(5!8!)
= 13x12x11x10x9/(5x4x3x2x1) = 154440/120 = 1287
On your calculator there is a button labeled
You should get 1287
- Statistics - Asnake, Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 4:52pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- general - From a standard deck of 52 cards, all of the clubs and the jack of ...
- Math - I can not seem to figure out this question. Can someone please help? Two ...
- AP Statistics - A standard deck of cards consisting of 52 cards, 13 in each of 4...
- math - two cards are selected at random without replacement from a well-shuffled...
- math - Three cards are selected at random without replacement from a well-...
- Probability - An ordinary deck of playing cards has 4 suits, with 13 cards of ...
- Probability - Five cards are drawn from an ordinary deck without replacement. ...
- statistics - Anne, Joe and Lynn, in this order, will take turns to draw two ...
- Math - two cards are drawn without replacement from an ordinary deck of 52 ...
- Math - Two cards are drawn without replacement from an ordinary deck of 52 ...