Posted by Luc on Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 5:48pm.
A gas sample containing only SO2, PF3 and SF6 has the following mass percent composition: 30.4% SO2 and 28.4% PF3. Calculate the partial pressure (atm) of SO2 if the total pressure of the sample is 676.4 torr.
I tried taking the total pressure in atm and multiplying it with the percent SO2 given, and came up with 0.271atm; however, the homework program that I'm using said that the correct answer is 0.391atm. Can someone point me in the right direction with this question?
- Chemistry - bobpursley, Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 6:05pm
partial pressure is on the basis of mole composition, not mass.
- Chemistry - Luc, Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 6:07pm
Yes it is based on mole composition, not mass. But how do you figure out the moles?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 6:12pm
30.4% SO2 = mole fraction 0.304.
Atm total pressure = 676.4/760 = ??
mole fraction SO2 x total P (in atm) = partial pressure SO2.
mole fraction SO2 = 0.304.
- Chemistry - Luc, Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 6:25pm
I get the same answer as before = 0.271atm
According to the program, the right answer is 0.391atm
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 7:21pm
Luc, I apologize for sending you astray. Here is the way you do it. I tried a shortcut that isn't legal. :-0
You want to find the mole fraction of SO2, then
XSO2 * (676.4/760) = partial pressure SO2.
Take a 100 gram sample. That will give you
30.4 g SO2.
28.4 g PF3.
100 - (30.4 + 28.4) = xxg SF6.
Now convert all to moles.
30.4/molar mass SO2 = moles SO2.
28.4/molar mass PF3 = moles PF3.
xx g SF6 molar mass SF6 = moles SF6.
Add total moles.
mole fraction SO2 = (moles SO2/total moles). Then use the above (X*total P = partial pressure SO2.
This will give you 0.391 atm.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Sulfur dioxide is used to make sulfuric acid. one method of ...
- Chem - At 930 K, Kp = 0.30 for the following reaction. 2 SO2(g) + O2(g)=>2 ...
- Chemistry - A sample of iron(II) sulfate was heated in an evacuated container to...
- chemistry - A 250 ml cylinder containing C2H4 at a pressure of 1.00 atm is ...
- chemistry - (You may have seen this before) A crude oil burned in electrical ...
- Chemistry - A gas sample containing only SO3, CH2O and C2H6O2 has the following ...
- chemistry - For the equation, SO2(g) + 1/2 O2(g)-> SO3(g) Kp=9.5 EQUAL ...
- Chemistry - A balloon containing 0.600 mole of SO2 gas has a volume of 275 mL at...
- chemistry - equal masses of so2 and o2 are kept in a vessel at 27 degrees ...
- chemistry - CaO(s) reacts with SO2(g) according to the following equations: CaO9...