Posted by Lou on Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 5:40pm.
1. perfunctory : Punctilious ::
A. kindly : gently
B. avoid : detect
C. practical : Feasible
D. Perdition : salvation
2. Perspicacity : Mind ::
A. reason : excuse
B. attorney : trial
C. sharpness : blade
D. rainstorm : spring
- English-- Analogies - Ms. Sue, Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 5:44pm
1. What relationship do you see between perfunctory and punctilious?
Check the definitions in number 2 and tell us what you think.
We'll be glad to check your answers.
- English-- Analogies - Lou, Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 5:55pm
So I think that 1. is Perdition : Salvation because that's an opposite and perfunctory and punctilious are opposites.
Perspicacity is keenness of judgement so I suppose perspicacity relates then to the mind for this is where perspicacity is developed. This doesn't seem to help me find a solution?
- English-- Analogies - Ms. Sue, Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 6:03pm
You're right about 1.
Good think about number 2.
Think about it this way -- for a mind to be really good and effective, it needs to have perspicacity. In what pair of your choices does the second term rely on the first for its efficiency?
- English-- Analogies - Lou, Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 6:06pm
sharpness : blade
- English-- Analogies - Ms. Sue, Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 6:08pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - How would I use the word "Salvation" as a noun in a simple sentence? ...
- Grammar - Analogies-- 1. Fabricate::Excuse a.Sew::Needle b.Interview::Reporter c...
- Practical English - What is the topic sentence in this paragraph? (1)A trip to ...
- retail pharmacy assistant successful selling - an excuse is ? a.a valid reason ...
- English - What word fits better in the following sentence: To the __________ of ...
- Business English - What is the best reason to omit the reason for the refusal in...
- Practical English - A trip to the ocean can be a relaxing escape from the ...
- Church - What does Salvation mean? from http://www.answers.com/salvation sal·va·...
- math - mr. and mrs. blank sold their house for $200000 and needed to hire an ...
- practical english - Answer questions 1–4 in one or two sentences. Question 1a–1b...