Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 2:08am.
1. Analyze the following ethical dilemma from the perspective of rationality and respect
(Dilemma Tucker & Marcuson, 1998). A local nonprofit organization that networks
with other service agencies in the area was designed to fill gaps in needed services for
families. This agency has been in existence for several years and has gained the respect
of the community. The staff of this agency can serve families who have a need that cannot
be served in any other way through connecting these families with community volunteers
who adopt them.
The volunteer director of the agency works on a volunteer basis and contributes
numerous hours each week to fulfill responsibilities associated with this position. To
reduce her workload, the director of the agency applied to seven different foundations
to request money for a part-time administrative assistant. The agency requested
$10,000 from each of the foundations, with the hope that they would receive assistance
from one of them. To the surprise of the director, three of the foundations accepted
their proposal and awarded the agency with $10,000 for the salary of the part-time employee.
The agency ended up with $30,000, which was three times as much as was
172 PA RT T W O / Traditions and Tools for Ethical Leadership
Ethical Leadership in Human Services: A Multi-Dimensional Approach, by Susan Schissler Manning. Published by Allyn and Bacon. Copyright © 2003 by Pearson Education, Inc.
needed for the salary. The granting foundations had different requirements for reporting
on the use of the money. However, at least two of the foundations asked that
the money be used in the manner for which it was requested.
■ What are the known facts?
■ What facts are missing that need to be obtained?
■ Who are the potential stakeholders? (for example, agency, clients, public/community,
■ What are the potential outcomes, both good and harm, for all stakeholders?
■ Who would you seek out for input, advice, and consultation?
■ What does your conscience say to you about this dilemma?
■ What are the values and perspectives of those who could be affected by your decision?
■ What ethical principles apply? What do they require in this situation?
■ How do the ethical theories—the means or duty versus the ends or greatest good—
apply to this situation? How would you link the two?
What would be your decision?
2. In order to take action, what political, natural, and social forces need to be considered?
3. What is your civic obligation for the good of the organization and the good of the
C H A P T E R 7 / Traditions and Tools to Develop Ethical Wisdom and Action 173
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- hsm 230 ethics - analyze the following ethical dilemma fro the perspective of ...
- Health - 3. Consider the following ethical dilemma that was discussed earlier in...
- University of Phoenix - My Ethical Analysis is 1. Basic Ethical Decision Making ...
- HHS 235 - Discussion Question 1 • Due Date: Day 2 [Main] forum • Post your ...
- LEGAL AND ETHICAL ISSUES - word analysis of whether or not NASW Code of Ethics ...
- com - Prepare a 1,050- to 1,750-word paper in which you analyze the ethical and ...
- LEADERSHIP - To understand the relevance of ethical theories to current ...
- philosophy - I am suppose to write a paper on ethical dilemma.I was thinking ...
- leadership - apply these theoretical perspectives to at least one specific ...
- ethics - Which of the following best describes a typical female response to the ...